ALEWIFE SIZE

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

ALEWIFE SIZE

Post by tamiron »

CHECK THIS OUT! There is often a good reason to switch the size of your offerings. Know what your target is feeding on! :o
ALEWIFE SIZE.gif
ALEWIFE SIZE.gif (93.42 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: ALEWIFE SIZE

Post by Detritus »

The big majority of forage we have found inside of our fish's stomachs this year (2 salmon and 2 lakers) has been the alewives in the age 0 category. But smelt in the two salmon we caught and kept, about the alewife age 2 size. I guess what I meant by big majority, is lots of fish have coughed out age 0 category alewives out on the deck of the boat when we're unhooking them before release.

By the way Tamiron, my youngest boy 0zzy loves your honeybee lures. He's not really old enough to even pay attention to what spoons work when, or colors, or any of that, but, he's collecting honeybee lures like they are matchbox cars in his own little star wars tackle box. I bought him an orange/yellow/green/saw? perch pattern looking one he picked out today at Rack and Reel in New Haven for his collection. I've tried to get him to add some Crazy Ivan's to his collection, but he only likes honeybee's. Sorry Todd/Pat, haha, but, he's only 6. He likes what he likes.

Jack
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

I think his taste is just fine :lol:
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

that is amazin a 6 year old collecting honey bee lures. :D i keep very few fish did keep some lakers for friends no alewifes in them just smelt
Just Rite (Taycon)
Species: Salmon,lake trout

Post by Just Rite (Taycon) »

I just ordered a bunch more honeybees last night. Looking forward to adding them to the arsenal
60Fishman
Species: lake trout, salmon, bass

Post by 60Fishman »

Kept a couple lakers this earlier this year that were hooked a little deep. Both had two 4 to 6 inch alewifes in them, plus several smaller ones. Most of the fish were spitting up the smaller ones in the boat. Did not see any smelt but I launch out of Westport. I wonder if the larger alewifes tend to be deeper in the water column.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

60Fishman wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:49 pm Kept a couple lakers this earlier this year that were hooked a little deep. Both had two 4 to 6 inch alewifes in them, plus several smaller ones. Most of the fish were spitting up the smaller ones in the boat. Did not see any smelt but I launch out of Westport. I wonder if the larger alewifes tend to be deeper in the water column.
The operative word is preferred temp! The smaller the bait, the higher it tends to be (preference) in the water column. VT fish biologists responded to my question with that info./Jim