January 7th -8th and 9th

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

January 7th -8th and 9th

Post by Crazy Ivan »

First of all "Happy New Year everyone!" After a very challenging End to the 2011 salmon season i was hoping to turn a new leaf in 2012.
Saturday with Popster.
On at 630am out of converse...... Nothing like setting up in the dark with lights in January.
Flat Calm..... Dreamy like conditions, Mild temps and the water temp is still 41
We had some salmon action on 5 colors of lead and a mini big jon dispy early.... Fat Buzzy and Purple Demon. After the the sun came up we had some steady downrigger action on a stinger tangerine (yuck cough cough gag). The highlight of the day was when we had a salmon hit the stinger come out of the water sideways and give us a big salmon 5+lb howdey, I managed to loose this fish for Bill while taking the cheater off. Bill and i see this differently of course BUT I ACCEPT THE BLAME! I Now have the step ladder in the back of the boat for Bill to stand on!
The fish were spread out with several coming off the south west corner of Gardner.
Nice talking to LaTe for WoRk and Super cab, Surprise and NewHaven Bill were in the Honey Hole down south and i couldn't hear them.
off at 12 noon 6 or so salmon and a few lakers
Sunday with Relax
So much for 7-12 from the North West....... Big rollers 4-5ft and gusting winds 20mph plus.
At the ramp at 630, Salmon eye (great to see ya man) at the ramp, waiting for Dean. Home-wrecker launches right behind Matt and I. Eight salmon and one lake trout in the boat all came on the Black and Purple Mini Big John Dipsey rigged with the Copper and Purple. we had one really nice 21.5 salmon that we released minus the lamprey that Matt terminated.
Not a pretty day on the water, just damn rough and nasty, all but one fish came in the Buckwheat to Thompson's run. Thanks Matt for putting up with the nasty conditions in order to boat some fish.
Great to fish along Home-wrecker and The instigator with the Admiral at the wheel. Talked briefly to Seabil from down south..... Hey Bill give me a call on my cell 349-3964
off at 12 noon
Monday with 4cs......
The day just had a good feel to it. at the ramp at 550 in the water early. Wind and waves from the south just brutal so much for 3 - 7mph from the south. When I left home wind was 7mph by the time we got there it was a steady 15 -20. Fishing Buck wheat and Thompsons was just impossible and nasty so we motored of to the calm of Split rock and Whalen's, now most days the wind is hard out of the south I cant buy a fish in the calms of Whalens but not today.
Steady action tight to split turning back at Gull rock, runnung 60 to 80ft of water, on copper and purple and purple orange and copper, finished the day with well over 30 fish in the boat one nice 20+ inch fat 3.25lb salmon. Probably 50/50 lakers and salmon. The cookie cutter are just shy of 18" now so tons of jumping fun. The highlight of the day was a chunky 16" Brown, this is either going to be my only Brown of 2012 or a sign of good things to come!!!!!
All the fish but 2 came on mini disk copper far and away from the boat. One monster laker on a inline plainer board. Just One Salmon on the rigger at 30ft.
Off at 3pm, thanks Pat for another great day, and yea i just talk to the office manager and she says as long as we talked shop the trip was a write off!!
Back out as weather permitts.... Riders welcome, just send pm. I am allways on early (630) and off by Noon (work at 2pm).
Had the pond all to ourselves today and even Super Cab was Ignoring us.
Todd
Todd
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: January 7th -8th and 9th

Post by raz »

I believe that brown is a sign of good things to come Todd!

Thanks for posting your recent adventures!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Raz wrote:
Thanks for posting your recent adventures!
Raz I know I don't always post, as fishing runs into work and work runs into sleep and sleep runs into fishing..... A very strict diet..... Don't even have time for photos. Just selfish about water time.
Todd
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Good to hear about your adventures Todd! The white water can be nasty.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Quite the fishing teams .....nice report.
Fish On!
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

After waking up this morning and laying there contemplating how I was going to go from a horizontal position to a vertical one I realized that yesterday was the most time I've been on water in one day since the LCI, :o no wonder I could hardly move and my back is screaming at me but it's well worth it. Except for the wind it was just a great day, not hot and heavy but steady all day which actually made for a short time out there. We only needed 3 spoons today, first it was the Purple Demon which took the lead but then the Purple Edge and the Purple Craze took over and these behind the purple mini divers were the ticket, guess we found a pattern. LOL Had something happened that just goes to show that changing something up on one side of the boat can shut that side down. On the starboard side we had a purple mini diver with a Purple Edge running on the outside with a longline straight out the back on the same side, we changed up the longline with another mini diver with a Purple Edge and that side completely shut down, the only difference was the color of the mini diver which was yellow. We then pulled the yellow mini diver setup and put out a inline board with a 4 color lead and the original purple mini diver setup started to produce again just goes to show that sometimes one thing can definitely make a difference.

Thanks buddy for another great day on the water and don't forget to write it off. Oh by the way there will be very limited or no production at all at the factory today, unforeseen circumstances. :shock:

Pat
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Todd, thanks for the great morning out there.. Nothing like salmon fishing the second week of Jan to get the year off right! Love your setup and next time I will bring salt to melt the ice. Best of all, I picked up a couple of CrazyIvan secrets to put to use in the spring on Reelax...

Fishon!
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Good talking wit you guys on Saturday. we went 7 for 8, six of which were salmon. One laker,. No great size except for the one that stole my fly. I hope we get another chance out there this year.

Ken
Black Ghost (Ken)
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Thanks Todd. Always fun times. The step ladder is the best.
You forgot to report about the Smallmouth that hit the Slide Diver at 30' at Split Rock!
Love those CI spoons
Bill
"POINTER"
Heijac

Post by Heijac »

Sounds like your having fun. I may give you a call one day soon if the ice stays away!
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Post by homewrecker »

I was out there solo and washed many lures. So tuff to work in the waves alone, brought home a skunk...that stinks.Oh well Fish-on