11lb 14oz Salmon

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Re: 11lb 14oz Salmon

Post by Del Gue »

:shock:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
innkeeper
Species: salmon

Post by innkeeper »

Sorry to be skeptical but a 27.5 In salmon with a girth of 15.25 in (what can be estimated from the picture) should weigh in at about 9.7 lbs based on standard salmon biological lenght/weight/girth equations. A 12 lb salmon should be at a minimum 30-31 inches in lenght. On the other hand still a great fish ...........congratulations!
trolling460
Species: salmon-trout

Post by trolling460 »

WTG congrats a true beauty
TEAM RockBottom
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Sorry to be skeptical but a 27.5 In salmon with a girth of 15.25 in (what can be estimated from the picture) should weigh in at about 9.7 lbs based on standard salmon biological lenght/weight/girth equations. A 12 lb salmon should be at a minimum 30-31 inches in lenght. On the other hand still a great fish ...........congratulations!

I am curious how you came up with your 15.25 in estimate?

If you use the picture of the fish and measure from tip of Kipe to tip of tail and convert that ratio to measure the flat surface length from the back in front of the dorsal to wide spot of belly you will find 11.43 in (front and back). By your calculations the width of the belly + the width of the back would be a total of 15.25 -11.43 = 4.164285714. That says that this fish was 2.08 thick at the widest point. I seriously doubt your estimate and if the fish were in fact only 3.25 in thick, (using your formula) it would be 11.40 lbs.

Yes the fish was caught on a HONEYBEE and yes I probably did take more time to challenge your estimate, but perhaps we should all be a little more careful of our challenges and the hurt they can generate especially if they lack sufficient substance!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Scotty F
Species: Lake trout and salmon

Post by Scotty F »

Nice silver, I bet that was a battle. Congrates
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

Their always has to be one person out there that has to say something to knock a person down. Like we all know sometimes pictures just don't do anything for the fish and other times it looks huge. I don't know the angler that caught this very very nice fish but hats off to him and his father for getting it into the boat. Just stating my opinion and great job landing such a beast of a fish that we all target.
FATHEAD

Post by FATHEAD »

This fish was measured at Big River Bait and Tackle at 29 7/16" I think the entry into the master angler was misprinted for all you skeptics.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

FATHEAD wrote:This fish was measured at Big River Bait and Tackle at 29 7/16" I think the entry into the master angler was misprinted for all you skeptics.
I was skeptical out of jealousy I'll admit... :mrgreen: But that length makes much more sense with that weight now. I've got a feeling someones going to be catching a new record in the next few years! That's a mount-worthy fish, is he getting it mounted I wonder?
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

No skepticism here, just thrilled to see such big and healthy fish being caught in my own back yard. I missed the early years of silver fishing, but it looks like the best is yet to come. That fish is a great catch and I can only hope that I get a chance to boat such a beauty. Congrats.
innkeeper

Post by innkeeper »

Having been a skeptic of a 12 pound fish only 27.5 in long redoing based on the corrected length of 29 3/4 "and a girth of 16.5 " the calculator says 11.87 lbs and everything now makes sense. For those that don't have a scale simple length/ girth measurements work really well at estimating weights. There are several and the most reliable I have found is here http://www.letsflyfish.com/weight.htm. Once again great fish and congratulations!!!!
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

INNKEEPER:

I believe that the prior post in this area by me was in exactly the same tone that your initial "doubts" was.

That has no place on this forum. I apologize for being insensitive. You are entitled to your opinions and, occasionally, I will probably respond emotionally when I see something that pushes my "button".

That fish was real and the weight, I am convinced, was conservative.

The fact, that you believe it to be not so, is your right. /Jim
Last edited by tamiron on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Innkeeper:

I just went to your chart reference. My observations were that the people who wrote the article used three sources. Two of which may have been based on spawning fish (?) because the data was so far off of their data that they were statistically irrelevant. But using their calculations only:

.................................27.5 in ......................29.5 in

17 inch girth.............12.06 lbs.....................12.94 lbs
18 inch girth.............13.52 lbs.....................15.51 lbs
19 inch girth.............15.06 lbs.....................16.16 lbs
20 inch girth.............16.69 lbs.....................17.90 lbs

As a means of estimating, with no measurements, they might be ok. But unless the chart were published by the State of Vermont Fish and Wildlife department, I'd say that they should be avoided.