Homewrecker does Converse Bay Jan 7

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Homewrecker does Converse Bay Jan 7

Post by Fishdawg »

Fished with Dean aboard the Homewrecker. It was a beautiful morning at sunrise. We headed south towards Thompson's Point and out past the "ball grabber" then headed back north to pass close to Gardner Isle where we had seen lots of bait and had picked up our first fish (small salmon). We continued on to Cedar Beach then turned west heading toward Cannon Point in NY. Dean picked up 2 lakers on the plateau out in front of the beach on a long line with a tadpole weight. As we got out in front of Cannon Point we swung and headed towards Split Rock picking up another couple lakers and a salmon. One laker and one salmon had lampreys that we boated (one the size of a pencil and one that must have been 15 inches) and disposed of them and hopefully saved the fish in the process. We continued back towards Thompson's Point and then headed back towards Gardner and eventually back into Converse Where we landed our 10th fish of the day a 16 " salmon. All in all we were 10 for 13. Most all of the fish came near the surface. Several on the tadpole, a couple on the downriggers down around 20 ft and most on a brass colored slide diver with some green and purple tape. 15 ft leader behind the diver and the diver approximately 20 feet back so the presentation was just behind the prop wash. 4 fish caught and two lost on a lure I call the SUZYQ. It is a customized copper needlefish with some black, pearl and pink and some red sticky beads running along the backside. My wife (Sue) initially created the lure, and this was a similar copy that I had made. 4 years ago that lure was real hot for salmon in the propwash, but in 2010 it hadnt done much for me.
We were off the water just afternnon as it was starting to rain. The morning had been pretty calm, some nice sun and much better than expected. A great day for a "frostbite tour" of the Converse area.
digitroll (ron)

Re: Homewrecker does Converse Bay Jan 7

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Nice detailed report Steve! Great day to be on the water.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Thanks for the report Steve.
I like the sounds of the diver set up running close. I experimented with a similar set up this summer and will do so again next year.
Sure would like to see a picture of the SuzyQ!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great report Steve! Congrats on the master angler lamprey.... I had a salmon take a spoon in the prop was today while I was just getting ready to deploy a mini diver.... Gotta love that top water action.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Great report guys and great read. This whole season is just starting.......Fish On !
Fish On!