APPALLED

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Dodger
Species: salmon

Re: APPALLED

Post by Dodger »

Haven't been on the board in a bit.
Was following up on the last page of this thread.
Was going to mention the possibility of what Gary found.
Can't speak to that operation or VT rules as I'm from NH.
I had a friend with a dairy farm in NH. His son owned a septic business across the street.
My friend built three of those lagoons in one of his farm fields. They were connected so that one pond drained in to the next and so on. The solids settled out progressively as they went from pond to pond. When the grey water left the last pond... according to the state of NH, it was fit to drink.
It was the first system of this nature engineered and approved by the state. That was 25 or 30 years ago. I should mention that each pond was chemically tested 3 or 4 times a year by the state.
In NH any manure spread on farm fields has to be disked or plowed under within 24 hours of spreading to avoid run off.
This does create issues on the dairy farms as they have to have holding areas big enough to contain the manure or slurry while the ground is frozen.

Reading through this thread, I was surprised at some of the points of pollution pointed out that are allowed to run in to Champlain.
Down here in the live free or die state we think of VT as VERY environmentally friendly?
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Dodger wrote:
Reading through this thread, I was surprised at some of the points of pollution pointed out that are allowed to run in to Champlain.
Down here in the live free or die state we think of VT as VERY environmentally friendly?
Sorry the green false facade fooled you. Pollutants flow downhill pretty freely around here. And sometimes are " directly injected".
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Dodger
Species: salmon

Post by Dodger »

Raz wrote:
Dodger wrote:
Sorry the green false facade fooled you. Pollutants flow downhill pretty freely around here. And sometimes are " directly injected".
No problem, Razz.
Should I consider it false advertising? ;)

I'm sure all states have both green and non-green folks.
dickbaker
Species: Salmon, pike and bass

Post by dickbaker »

OK! Raz! Who should we write to or email?
Have to admit that Vt. has some of the most complicated environments laws in New England but experience has shown that they are poorly enforced!
Dick
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Dick
If it concerns Agriculture, contact Laura DiPietro. Her email is Laura.DiPietro@state.vt.us
If you think it concerns the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources, you can call in complaints to the complaint line at 802-828-1254. You can also email them to: anr.enforcement@state.vt.us. They also have a web form which you can fill out. Here is the link: http://www.anr.state.vt.us/dec/co/enf/enf-complaint.htm. You can make these complaints anonymously if you like.

Hope this helps.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
cnmt237
Species: salmon,lakers.bass.pike,saltws

Post by cnmt237 »

We've had similar her on the NY side, but Essex County (Ticonderoga to Port Douglas Area) has a program that helps correct this by grants, cheap loans? some type of state funding? The area is looked at and a solution is found and put in place. One example was the cattle in the river. The area was fenced off and a watering trough and pump installed some distance from the water. Another simply cleaned a barnyard and replaced it with concrete which could be easily maintained and prevented seepage.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Raz, I hope you don't mind but I stole your photo in the OP of this thread to post in the comments on a free press story on Facebook. If anyone else would like to weigh in on the role of farmers in shedding phosphorus into the lake, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/bfpnews/posts/ ... 2199618871
THANK YOU!
Of couse--no problem!