APPALLED

Share info on fishing Champlain.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: APPALLED

Post by raz »

C-Hawk wrote:I heard of an apparent attempt to avoid Vermont manure handling violations in the Bridport, Lake Champlain bridge area from a very good source but no first hand info. This may be common knowledge down that way but evidently some farmers from the Vt. side truck manure to NY and spread it on frozen ground
there . This practice is probably legal but sounds dubious at best.
I've heard that also.
Not very good stewards of the land or water are they?
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I saw a septic tank sucking truck headed out to a frozen farm field to spread human waste on Sunday... Is that legal???? If not, I will film him next time.... I see it all the time... In Fairfax...
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Film it. I don't believe it's legal. I could be wrong, but It's my understanding that septage has to go to a sewer plant to be properly treated before being spread as a sludge. This also is supposed to be injected into the soil, not spread on top. The soil and grass/corn gets tested before harvesting. I've personally seen this process and have been in on the testing end. It does work if all rules are followed, but I still wouldn't want to walk barefoot across the property or drink from any spring within a mile of the place.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

I think part of James Ehler's talk at on water quality at our last workshop, he touched on this. It apparently is legal, but don't know if it's seasonal, or what the limits are on it. I'll check in to it.
________
Mike
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Reelax wrote:I saw a septic tank sucking truck headed out to a frozen farm field to spread human waste on Sunday... Is that legal???? If not, I will film him next time.... I see it all the time... In Fairfax...
Like Fred said...get pics, get camera footage. Take me there, let me know where it is so I can watch for it to happen also.
All hell will break loose!!!! :o
Gerry
Cas

Post by Cas »

So, apparently it is illegal for all spreading until after April 1st (I'm sure there's exemptions). Where did you see it? We'll report it.
________
Mike
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Fletcher road headed out of fairfax. It was working dog septic, they were headed out into the HUGE farm field across from their shop.(the field with a trailer in front of it next to the field access rd) There would be only one reason to head out into a farm field with a septic sucker truck. They do it all the time. I think they own the field so it's a cheap dump site for them.

I'll stop and snap pics next time I see it.

Thanks Mike.
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Better off not assuming anyone is breaking the law. Film it. Report your suspicions and let the powers that be, handle it. It may be bad milk or something totally innocent. Can only hope.
Cas

Post by Cas »

It will only be a request to investigate. Won't be accusing since there's no concrete proof. I'm working with James Ehlers at LCI to get people to look in to it. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the info, Matt.
________
Mike
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

It's a team effort. Looking good. This lake needs sportsman and others helping her by reporting suspected activities to the proper agency.
And then being sure to follow up and expect to hear their findings.
Gerry
Gary
Species: Polluters

Investigation into your concern

Post by Gary »

My name is Gary Kessler and I am the Compliance & Enforcement Director for the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources. I received a complaint this afternoon from James Ehlers about waste being spread in a field with a link to this forum. I am writing to respond and to bring you up to date on our now closed investigation.

First I want to thank you for raising this concern. I have had an investigator who was in the area look into this. He found the truck as was suggested. It was transferring waste to a permitted holding lagoon on the property. There was no evidence of recent spreading on any surrounding fields.

I have a photo of the transfer taking place but I cannot seem to post it here, but would be glad to do so if someone else knows how. I have sent a copy to James

To enable us to get to your concerns more quickly and efficiently I would invite you to contact us directly. You can call in complaints to our complaint line at 802-828-1254. You can also email them to: anr.enforcement@state.vt.us. We also have a web form which you can fill out. Here is the link: http://www.anr.state.vt.us/dec/co/enf/enf-complaint.htm. Finally, you can make these complaints anonymously if you like although it does help us to have your contact information so we can get in touch if more information is needed.

We respond to citizen complaints over 1500 per year and welcome your efforts to help us find environmental problems. You can also contact me directly at: Gary.Kessler@state.vt.us.

Thanks again for your help.
Last edited by Gary on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Thankyou for the follow-up Gary. It is great to know this was not an issue, as I live in the area
Your contact information is much appreciated.

I would guess you have gain over 100 sets of eyes with your post.

There aren't many who care for clean water and the lake quality more than the fisherman on this forum.

Best Regards
Matt B
Cas

Post by Cas »

Yes, thanks Gary. I just got the email from James, and was going to post your favorable investigation results here, but see you've beat me to it. Thanks for looking in to it, and double thanks for taking the time to post what you found here, as well as reaching out to us with your contact info. Glad to hear everyone is in compliance.
________
Mike
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Best news all around. Valid questions asked. Great followup by the investigators and no illegal activity to begin with.
Win, Win........ Thanks to everyone involved especially the business that chose to comply. Fred
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Did anyone else notice what species Gary targets? 8-)
Thank you for what you do Gary and especially for reaching out and letting us know the good news.
Thanks also to James for making contact and getting the ball rolling after following this thread.
Glad we're all on the same team.
Attachments
image.jpg
Gerry