APPALLED

Share info on fishing Champlain.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: APPALLED

Post by raz »

Conservation Law Foundation appeals state decision in an effort to stem manure runoff into the Missisquoi:

http://vtdigger.org/2014/12/17/court-as ... ent-195860
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Litigation instead of implementation. That ought to move things along nicely. The laws are in place. Enforce them. If violators don't comply, shut them down. Sounds simple. Shouldn't need a group of lawyers sucking up all of the funding to make this work.
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Totally agree. There are very dedicated members on this forum. Time to push our voice. I'm not much of a letter writer, but I'll give it a shot. Every voice......
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

The Conservation Law Foundation is way more of a friend to farmers than an enemy.They were the ones that sucessfully lobbyed the FDA to remove new rules that would have prevented vegetable farmers from spreading manure on their fields sooner than 9 months before harvest.They support having a local and sustainable economy. Check their website.I for one will be supporting their new Lake Champlain Initiative.Industrial farming needs to be brought to task and CLF wants to see more enforcement.
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Just sent my letter to the 3 addresses. First time I've sent a letter to any political rep. or any organization. Yes, I really care.
Danl851
Species: Cold Water Species

Post by Danl851 »

Just received an email reply from Bill Howland. Everyone who wrote a letter was supposed to get one. Ignore the baloney in it and it's not hard to see what help anyone is going to get from them.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

After many missed calls and playing phone tag, the Ag Agency and I were able to connect and I got the results of my "Livestock in the Lamoille" complaint.
The Ag Agency visited the farm in question and looked over the operation. They advised the farm to not let those animals in the river and were told they were in violation. There wasn't a fine levied at this time, but it is my understanding they were told they would receive a fine or other negative action should it happen again.

Overall, I was very pleased with the way the agency handled the complaint. I was especially pleased when they told me that if I ever see what I believe is a violation (and we can all pay attention here), they welcome the report and they WILL investigate each and every report. Stating that they don't have the manpower to be everywhere, they welcome the extra eyes and folks out and about, and taking the time to help them identify possible violations.

New stricter rules for the Agriculture industry is on the way. Rules that will hopefully help slow down the phosphate loading of our lake.

Like James Ehlers told me..."This is a team sport" we all need to pitch in and help make our lake cleaner, and do our part as lake stewards.

Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Thank you for your perseverance Jerry.As with all issues like these, nothing seems to happen until we reach a tipping point.Maybe we are there?Nice to see a little public outcry do some good for a change.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

awsome jerry. heading the right way now.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Gerry for your initiative on this issue.
It affects all fishermen, regardless where they're from.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Nice job, Jerry. Always nice to get results.
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Good to hear Raz it's a start. Thanks for the update!
KEN K.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great followup Gerry! Nice to know they want to know about this sort of thing...
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I heard of an apparent attempt to avoid Vermont manure handling violations in the Bridport, Lake Champlain bridge area from a very good source but no first hand info. This may be common knowledge down that way but evidently some farmers from the Vt. side truck manure to NY and spread it on frozen ground
there . This practice is probably legal but sounds dubious at best.