AUTO PILOT PROBLEMS

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

AUTO PILOT PROBLEMS

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

Greetings - I'm looking for your feedback or recommendations on auto pilot systems for cable steer outboard motor applications. I presently have a RayMarine Smart Pilot SPX-5 unit on my boat. It was purchased new two years ago and has the later MK-11 drive unit.
I had to replace the drive unit last year due to binding and the replacement unit is now doing the same thing, only worse. After it has been running for a couple of hours it becomes more and more difficult to steer due to stiffness or binding in the drive unit. Last week it got so bad that I needed both arms to turn the wheel. It also seemed to be running hot. Later, at home, the wheel returned to normal.
I called RayMarine and while they told me I could send it in for repair , the rep said they are no longer making the drives and suggested I look into a different drive that would be compatible with the rest of their system ! He suggested the Octopus brand.
Before I spend more money, I would appreciate some feed back on what systems have worked well for others.

Tight lines all !

Thanks, Jack
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
digitroll (ron)

Re: AUTO PILOT PROBLEMS

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Just guessing but it sounds to me there are some other underlying issues that is causing the binding up of your steering and the result a failing drive. These drives are bullet proof with proper or correct installation followed procedures. I would have your steering evaluated by a marine shop. The fact that you replaced the drive unit and are now experiencing the same issue after a few hours of us. Hmmm. I would be trying to determine what is the root cause for these drives to overwork and fail. I would go out on a limb and say it's not the drives fault. How old is the steering cable and system?

Who installed the autopilot and replacement drive? Maybe it was overtightened both times? Incorrect installation can also result in a smoking gun or a smoking drive in this case.
On The Job (mike)
Species: all varieties

Re: AUTO PILOT PROBLEMS

Post by On The Job (mike) »

I think the same thing is happening to me .I have the same unit and year.Next time i bring the boat in i will ask them about it and let you know.Presently it is turning hard almost need two hands after using it for a couple of hours .turns great when just starting out from launch or at home?Please let us know if you replace drive unit and how it worked for you. THANKS