HELP! NEED NEW GPS

Share info on fishing Champlain.
edthehook
Species: SALMON

HELP! NEED NEW GPS

Post by edthehook »

My Lowrance combo (LMS-334c) has died. It won't power up. I called Lowrance for authorization to send it in for repair.
I was told my unit was manufactured in 2006, AND PARTS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE! They suggested I check the power
cord for a 12v reading (it is fine). They said remove the Navionics ship and try the SET and/or RESET procedures (still
nothing). So I guess I have no choice but to replace it. Lowrance suggests their HDS-5 Gen2 ($699) is a similar unit and I
could use my old transducer (200kHz). Cabela's has this unit on sale for $649, WITH a 83/200 transducer.

My dilemma is this. I'm kind of disgusted with Lowrance, in that they won't repair a unit only 7 years old. How complicated
can it be to fix it? Anyway, I'm seeking any suggestions you may have as to a replacement. The HDS-5 seems okay, but I
would like to hear what you guys might propose, in roughly the same price range.

Thanks for your help.

Ed
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Re: HELP! NEED NEW GPS

Post by Crazy Ivan »

If you are just looking for a gps I highly recommend an iPad........ Down load the navionics ap..... And you have a solid gps with a 10 inch screen for under 700.00 dollars pluss you have an iPad.......The data plan is 19.00 a month. I have been useing mine for 3 years with out a hiccup. Hundreds and hundreds of hours trolling with this.
The only down fall is you have to keep it dry.... in my old boat I covered it with a zip lock bag.... But if you have a top and sides you are all set. If you have any questions about this unit feel free to give me a call.
Todd
Todd
mrwalleye

Post by mrwalleye »

I have always had great service from Lowrance. I owned a HDS-8 that I had problems with while still under warranty and they replaced it with no problems. I now have a HDS-9 touch and a HDS-7 touch and love both units. A 7 year old unit is pretty old when talking electronics. They're always upgrading and improving on them. Their like computers after a year or two there outdated. You can do so much with the new units with options like downscan, getting live engine info, operating downriggers to name a few.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Regarding the ipad, you can get a previous model for much less, too. I got the ipad 2 when the 3 had been out a while, saved some $$. While you do need the 3G or 4g model in order to get the GPS, you don't need to subscribe to a data plan in order for the GPS to work. Bought a waterproof case for $50 on amazon, good to go. Now if there was only an app for speed and temp at the ball...
________
Mike
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I have an HDS-5M,which is a gps only,I added a navionics chip for L Champlain and it is hard to beat for the $550 cost.you can get the combo unit for a few dollars more.You don't need the touch version and I understand your opinion of Lowrance,but they still make a heck of a unit.My sonar is a Vexilar edge,which is the most user freindly sonar I have ever seen,it also is the best at showing fish you will ever find.they don't make the black and white one anymore and the color version is $800 bucks,but their service is impeccable.When you call them you get a real person who knows what he is talking about.I have had this unit for ten years and they will still fix it. the backlight goes out every 2 or 3 years and I send it in and they repair whatever is wrong,it usually costs about a hundred bucks for the overhaul.and worth every penny. If the darn thing ever does quit for good I would by the new color unit in a minute.by the way,the new color version doesn't need a backlite.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I've seen at least three of the i-pad set ups in action and would also recommend one if you have the room for the nice 10" screen.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Hawkeye
Species: salmon

Post by Hawkeye »

I would agree with Todd.. Thorny uses the I pad and I really like the size of the display and the detail it shows....Having said that if you need a combo unit with a sonar I would look at the Raymarine A65 series touch screen. Their repair center is right over in New Hampshire.. and the Raymarine is dependable. I have one of thier A 70D's ...now replaced by the A 65 touch and it has never missed a beat.....
Bigwiggle
Species: Perch,Smelt,Crappie,Salmon,

Post by Bigwiggle »

I believe The I Pad thing and the smart Phone thing is going to be starting revolution, when it comes to fishing. Look at what Vexilar is doing with the technology :shock: http://vexilar.com/ they are taking your I pad and smart phone and turning it into a fish finder and camera .. Via wireless connection . I have to keep up with the latest technology trends because of my job and i believe you will see more of this type technology in the future not only from vexilar but other major companies like Lowrance and hummingbird.
I do have the Navionics on My I phone and i love it not only as a Back up for trolling on the big lake but its awesome when i am Ice fishing because i can GPS hotspots and then go back to them later.
If i had to make Decision on what Fish finder unit to buy , i would say buy what you can afford but having the feature of Down scan and side scan imaging is a huge bonus. Allot of fisherman believe this features are only good for bass fisherman but they will also work very well when trolling the big lake , when tuned in just right you should be able to pick up schools of smelts , and alewives on the screen. You should be able to see structure that you thought were just rocks but now look more like a sunken ship.
Fish On
Capt: Joe
Captain
Joe
early bird
Species: cold water

Post by early bird »

I updated to the HDS-5 Gen2 earlier this year. Check out the GPS Store (gpsstore.com). I picked mine up for $620. They also had a $100 rebate program going at the time. Until then, I was running a Garmin GPS and a Lowrance X-51. Both were outdated and I'd snapped my transducer and was unable to find a replacement.
'still figuring out all the "whistles and bells" on the HDS-5.
Good luck in your search!
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

With the HDS Gen2 and the Touch you can add the wifi and see and adjust you're unit from you're Ipad and if you are running 2 units you now only need 1 Navionics chip; both units will share the map.