Shakedown run with the C-Hawk

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Shakedown run with the C-Hawk

Post by Skylander »

Once again, it was an eventful day, as I have come to expect while fishing with Jeff! You know it’s going to be a great outing when you get a phone call there night before from the masshole saying he’s leaving at 3 o’clock in the morning to head for Converse, might I be interested? How could I refuse such an epic opportunity?
This morning I awake to the first text from 445 that there has been trailer light issues. Let’s meet at eight. Perfect I can have an extra cuppa coffee.
We set up in the parking area and try to fire the motor prior to dropping it in the drink, A sluggish response, but showing decent voltage. So we do what any two other eager, silver, chasing fisherman would do we grab the little jump box and put it in the water to give it a go. It clearly is a no go.
After some fretting and head scratching, we figure a long set of jumper cables, and the truck is close as we could get it to the Lakeshore. We might be able to jump it. This 4 stroke Mercury is quite sensitive to a crisp battery, not that we’ve ever been down this road before!
There’s nobody else here, quick unhook the trailer and let’s try. Have you ever seen two monkeys and a football?
It worked and we were only busted by two Canadians.
Fire in the hole. let’s fish! First, let’s hook the trailer back up so it won’t be obvious what has happened and we won’t have to deal with it with the parking lot full of people later. On the water at 10:15, still quite early for the C-Hawk.
With the decent information from a few locals who have been doing well in that area recently, we set out. Before we even set lines, apparently all this Intel is not good for today’s adventure. It has been a slow morning according to reports. We set two riggers with sliding cheaters and 2, 2 color leadlines off of boards to the sides and if we go to find some fish.
It was a relatively slow day we fished until three ended with one salmon and eight lakers. A beautiful day on Champlain, covering Sloop to Thompson’s across to SplitRock. We called it a day, and as I typed this, I look at the Outer Bay and it has laid down nice and flat. Tempting me to go look for some eyes.
Having spent the day on Fishy 1 area waters, I felt inclined to share a story of the day.
campskylandvt.com
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Shakedown run with the C-Hawk

Post by Reelax »

Wow got some popcorn for that story… that was a great read. Hope this means Jeff is up for a while:)

Fish on!
Matt B
Mistress
Species: cold water

Post by Mistress »

I swear you could have been telling a story about someone you saw at the ramp some years ago (ME :lol: )!! As we know the worst day fishing is always better than the best day at work! The way I look at it is when I have a mediocre day with the bite it makes it that much better when you crush 'em. The bite should really pick up now, my apple trees just started to blossom and water surface temp is around 50.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Jumper cables, a must have all the time. Glad you got the engine running. Fish did not want to play much, but you still got some to bite. That's why we do it. Thanks for posting.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Well folks, it wasn't as bad as Joey made it out to be. The thing is, you need to be prepared for failure. . I'm so used it to it, that it is all part of the experience. After my my medical issues of past few years, a weak battery is is just a pimple on my ass. Putting a new trailer plug on in the driveway at 3;30 in the morning with my wife holding the flashlight, is more like a hemorrhoid.
Don't let Skylander fool you, he knows full well what happens when I do a trip!
Glad to be back fishing again and it was a great day. I haven't really avoided the forum, just haven't had good fishing much up North the last few years. I'll be around!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

C-Hawk wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:59 pm Well folks, it wasn't as bad as Joey made it out to be. The thing is, you need to be prepared for failure. . I'm so used it to it, that it is all part of the experience. After my my medical issues of past few years, a weak battery is is just a pimple on my ass. Putting a new trailer plug on in the driveway at 3;30 in the morning with my wife holding the flashlight, is more like a hemorrhoid.
Don't let Skylander fool you, he knows full well what happens when I do a trip!
Glad to be back fishing again and it was a great day. I haven't really avoided the forum, just haven't had good fishing much up North the last few years. I'll be around!

Welcome home Jeff. It’s not the fishing results we care about it’s the stories!
Matt B