We are out of here......Northern salmon move South. FACT

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

We are out of here......Northern salmon move South. FACT

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Squeezed three early morning trips in this week. I am still working the top area of the water 15ft and up. On the boards i am running Lead core, mini dipsys, or flat lines with one or two split shots. Riggers down 10-15 way back behind the boat. Sausage Gravy Milk Shake, Chartreuse and silver Speedy shiners seem to rule the water. I have not changed colors in two weeks. Great fishing in the early morning, then it seems to slow down, not a problem for me because i have to work in the early afternoon. There are alot of great afternoon fishing spots..... you just have to find them.
So the last trip of the week was with Bill and Wes the Diesel Man. Set up the boat at first light and had action right off, I had Three salmon in the boat from my side while I was trying to set up...... Not sure what Bill was doing on his side but there was some mumbling...... Bill will tell you all that he lost the biggest Brown of his life do to a faulty snap that stretched and let the fish and Monster fish swim away...... Wes HAd a nice steelie come off behind the boat after Putting on a great show!
Anyway the first fish in the boat was a small 18" salmon.... But it had a tag in it. The tag was covered in Green algae and has to be cleaned so we could read it, we took great care in this so we could let this fish go.
On one side there is an address and the other side there is a tag number, Just so happens that Bill Knows everyone in the state of Vermont and at 9 am he started making calls. The fish was happy and safe in his on board aquarium and after several calls we had the right people on the phone.
This Salmon was tagged in Hatchery Brook by the Grand Island Ferry in November of 2011, It was 17.3 inches at the time. Yesterday it was just under 18" and had a fresh lamprey wound. Quite the long trip south just hang out with us! We let this fish go and I hope to catch it again in 3 years!
Here are some more photos from last week
Nice cold morning Landlocked
Monster 20" Lamprey that was almost as long at the lake trout we plucked it off
The Play Tank
Where is SALMON EYE
Chef Bill Lowell..... Fresh (caught Wednesday) Salmon Burger Sliders with Creole
Remulaude..... A feast for kings

Get out there and Have Fun!!!!
Todd
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Re: We are out of here......Northern salmon move South. FACT

Post by Del Gue »

Well, if the Salmon are moving south then so will I! Thanks for the update.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Baitfish, water temperature, and girl salmons. If you can figure that out, you'll find the salmon.

Ken
Black Ghost (Ken)
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Todd / Bill,

So that is where all the salmon go in the Inland (d**d) Sea when the white perch move in! :mrgreen: Go South!

I love the fish aquarium. Has that fish and game look at the Champlain Valley Fair when we would drool over the brood fish in the tank 30 years ago.

Great report!

R
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Very nice report, cool tagged fish too, not a bad winter growth spurt either. Thanks for posting, hoping to be up on the big lake next weekend. :D
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

I swear it was a huge Brown, Todd. :lol: What else could straighten out the Duolock Snap?

Good times on both Todd's and my boat the past couple of weeks. Nothing that we've caught has been deeper than 20'. This time of year I also love to put out a light spinning rod just under the surface in the prop wash. I've had some success using a 1 oz. Stinger Dive Bomb about 50' in front of the lure at a speed of 1.8-2.0 mph. Not sure of the depth curve yet, but seems to be in the 10-15' range..... probably the same as about 2-3 colors of lead.

great having Todd & Wes to fish with yesterday
FISH ON
Bill
"POINTER"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Waaaay up north today I had one hit in three hours.
Great post Todd...Thanks.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

Raz,
I was way up north on the lake today as well. Didnt see you, but saw several boats trolling and many bassers and anchored fishermen. We should have hit the water earlier (didnt get started until 8am), but we got into some fish early. Ended the day with 2 nice fat browns around 18 inches and 2 salmon (1 was just over 20") and a smallmouth bass that must have been close to 4 lbs. all the fish came on long lines off the planers with several split shot on the lines. All fish also came on watrermelon, or rainbow trout type lures and all but the bass were carrying lamprey. You guys should do well in this area tomorrow. Good luck to all!!!!!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I was busy here at home Dawg. I didn't even get on the water until 11:00. Good to hear you picked up fish!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

I love facts. Nice case presented here. Great couple of fish too.
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

plantstone wrote:I love facts. Nice case presented here. Great couple of fish too.
For sure.

There is so much I have learned over the last few years since I was given the chance to procure a Champlain Addiction. Before Champlain it was all-day fishing for one little salmon on a lake you could never run out of gas on. With all I have learned I often feel like I could write a book... But every time I am on the water I realize the truth: I know so little! :roll:

Good info and still in awe of that boat-mounted non-electric dual-screen Fish TV :)
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Looks like a great time. Good food and entertainment. That tag is cool. Cant believe they venture so far.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Brian
Species: fin fish

Post by Brian »

Good stuff! Very interesting tag.
Got bass thumb?