Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Where is the reports?

Post by Reelax »

tamiron wrote:It would seem that the issue has at least 5 major points:

1. Do we want seagulls? My vote - NO

2. Does the forum want the ability to screen members? My vote - YES

3. Do we want newbies to share in the data of reports? My vote - YES

4. Should we highlight the need for a newbie to become a member to see the reports?
My vote - YES

5. Should the moderators/administrators be able to remove threads that are:
a. Inflammatory?
b. Personal (prejudiced)?
c. not specifically related to fishing?
d. purely argumentative?
e. Of questionable matter for general viewing?
My vote - YES

My stated past opinion is that IMHO does not mitigate the damage that "unsupervised and uncontrolled" views can cause coming from irresponsible, negative and purely argumentative individuals that think that they are somehow protected by freedom of speech. That freedom is defined with the caveat that reasonable people will treat others with respect and dignity.

But, there are now two choices and the public can choose which they prefer. If they are identical, there is no need for this one.
I agree 100%
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

I 2nd that and agree with Tamiron & Reelax.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

fishing eagle (Walt) wrote:I 2nd that and agree with Tamiron & Reelax.
Agreed
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

I read posts on the other LC forum for a few months before posting...I'm not too sure if I would have joined if I couldn't have read posts without signing up. I think people should be able to read a few posts and see what the website is about before signing up. Seagulls will be here no matter what, and I'm sure there are some already with accounts that do not post, only look at information. That's my input.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

10-4

Reelax wrote:
tamiron wrote:It would seem that the issue has at least 5 major points:

1. Do we want seagulls? My vote - NO

2. Does the forum want the ability to screen members? My vote - YES

3. Do we want newbies to share in the data of reports? My vote - YES

4. Should we highlight the need for a newbie to become a member to see the reports?
My vote - YES

5. Should the moderators/administrators be able to remove threads that are:
a. Inflammatory?
b. Personal (prejudiced)?
c. not specifically related to fishing?
d. purely argumentative?
e. Of questionable matter for general viewing?
My vote - YES

My stated past opinion is that IMHO does not mitigate the damage that "unsupervised and uncontrolled" views can cause coming from irresponsible, negative and purely argumentative individuals that think that they are somehow protected by freedom of speech. That freedom is defined with the caveat that reasonable people will treat others with respect and dignity.

But, there are now two choices and the public can choose which they prefer. If they are identical, there is no need for this one.
I agree 100%
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I have no problem knowing that a nonmember may be reading anything I post. I encourage it.
Good and reasonable administration will make this site a great success.
Agree to the rules or get the boot. This isn't a "freedom of speach" issue or denial of rights. It's an agreement to behave in a certain manner specified by the administrators of the site.
I don't personally know a single person on this site, but I will as time goes on. It's knowing that there are some great folks out on the lake when I'm out there. That's comforting. I was thinking of pulling the VHF radio out of my boat, because I didn't think I'd have a use for it.
Keep it light and friendly and I'm in.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

We're getting some great responses here...keep it up!

My vote...for the record
Reports should/need to be available to the general public without a membership here.
We'll always have sea-gullers anyway, AND I see "behind the scene" issues if everyone can't see the reports.
Visible reports will attract new members.

Keep those votes coming in!!!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Mission Statement of Lake Champlain United

"The mission of Lake Champlain United is to provide a family-friendly place for anglers who fish on Lake Champlain, where they can ask questions and exchange information in a polite, respectful manner."

Most of the seaguls are surfing mostly just to read fishing reports without sharing. What makes a forum interesting is the exchanges and all the life that are posting by active members. After a while, most of the activities are produce by almost the same members that are more active & generous, and giving everything on a gold plate is not the solution to keep a forum alive and fun.

There could be a sticky stated that we have some excellent fishing reports on all kind of fishs available to the registered members.
My God we need a spell software!.

My .02
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

I see that there is an "old reports" sub-forum. How does that work? Maybe reports that are a month old become available to see for those that aren't logged in? If people don't want the non-members trolling the boards for all to see and "take their spots", then make the old reports viewable to those not logged in, that way they can see what is available if they are a member, yet not "giving up" the hot spots and/or lures of the day?

Not sure if that functionality is available within the forum. I think having reports viewable has it's merits, yet so does hiding them from non-members, but they most likely won't join and contribute if they don't know that such reports are available to members?
________
Mike
Wallyandre (Andre)

The old report section is a section where you can import you're fishing report from the other forum and make them viewable on this forum.

That's why I think it should have a sticky in bold maybe red stating that there is reports available.

The reason why I prefer the reports viewable by members only is only to get more participation; a report is not about a specific location or spots but it's something that is informative,something that can help all members to acheive success, sharing technics etc...

If somebody want's to share location it's there choice but again if everything is free on a gold plate we won't see those non-members helping and sharing.

If somebody need more specific infos, PM can be a useful tool.

Once the decision is taken regarding the fishing reports I will follow the decision.
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

I have to say that we should have the forum open to everyone except the "Fishing Report" section, this should be viewed by members only. I know this is a huge programming change but feel that if someone wants to see this they should at least be registered. As Andre said we could post a sticky or a statement somewhere that says this. We all know that we will have seagullers but at least this way they might just like it and start participating, IMHO.

Pat
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

It's not a huge programming change. Just 3 clicks.

If this section still "private" to member, it's easy to replace by a public forum where it's saying to people that are not connected: register and connect to view the reports. Registered members will not see this warning.

That's what seagullers will do: register and connect to view the reports...

If we put a minimum of 5 messages, seagullers will reply 5 topics and that's it. The content of their replies won't be interesting.
Wallyandre (Andre)

I think seagullers are so lazy that won't register or they won't take the time to write 5 posts.

The one that will register will feel like a committment. I think we could give a try and if that creates to much unsatisfaction then we just have to open-up to everybody.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

The operative word is committment. As well as ownership. They go together. I vote to keep it as is.
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

I love what you have done keep up the good work! :D