Cowbanks Salmon

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
squaretail
Species: lately.. white perch

Cowbanks Salmon

Post by squaretail »

The water is finally warming up. It was 59 of top and 55 down 15 feet today at noon. We launched from the F&G ramp no problem, and it's nice that the docks are in again. Just as my wife was getting lunch out of the cooler, the first rod went off.
Nice fat 20+ salmon and the first one boated in my boat this year so the skunk is officially off. Lure was a rainbow trout speedy shiner, down 30 and back 50ft.
-Joe
Attachments
squaretail.jpg
squaretail.jpg (24.9 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
Last edited by squaretail on Thu May 29, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plantstone

Re: Cowbanks Salmon

Post by plantstone »

Thx for the update. Cowbanks is a favorite, hopeful place when I fish the IS. Nice when lunch brings on the bite.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Cowbanks is being very nice this year for firsts. Good to get rid of "Pepe" early on.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Glad you got out Joe...see you on the water. (I an there now)
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
squaretail
Species: lately.. white perch

Post by squaretail »

Raz,
We were out there on Sunday afternoon for a while also but the motor started acting up so I had to quit early.
I replaced the fuel filter (thanks again Ron) and plugs, so I should be back on the lake soon with some new spare parts
in the toolbox. Thursday morning looks like the next good day if the weather holds..

-Joe
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Hi Joe,
Your fishing in my hole.....Hahaha Glad you got rid of the skunk.
Thanks for sharing
The Riddler
riddlervt

Post by riddlervt »

Hi Joe,
did about 10 fish on the north end of cowbanks -65-70 pink and silver , lost one decent fish, kept one about
The rest where shakers, 2 perch today.
Boat launch a zoo, never mind the hole at the ramp
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

riddlervt wrote: Boat launch a zoo, never mind the hole at the ramp
We lost a good launch when it went public....
I was always happy to pay, and have ZERO hassles.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
riddlervt

Post by riddlervt »

About the launch:

I hear they plan to move Feather bed lane road, double the ramp size, install a 60 foot dock(same as Apple Tree's)
and dredge a 10 ft deep channel out of the bay. In addition they are going to remove the overhead wires and bury them.
Downside is they are going to install 40 truck and trailer parking spots and limit it to that......
I pulled out at 2pm yesterday and there where easily 75 rigs in the parking area.

We need more Lake access.
Ridds
Danl851
Species: Cold Water Species

Post by Danl851 »

I think the State of Vermont needs to take a serious look at these fishing access areas. At the Morton's Bay access in St. Albans over the weekend it was a nightmare. I couldn't get an early start so when I got there is was chucker block full. I counted 16 cars with no trailers parked in trailer spots. One family backed in and having a picnic. Sunday there was 12 cars parked in trailer spots. It would seem that there should be some enforcement issues with that. I guess if you want to park your vehicle and trailer maybe just fish during the week.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

This is what happens when the politicians make the rules for boat launches. What used to be F&G (fishing vessel only) launches are now public free-for-alls. Sad, but no big surprise.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

I still pay to use the private side of apple island. The better dock and bottom conditions is well worth it IMO. Apple island used to be my favorite launch. Now I feel like its a toss up between that and Mallets Bay. :(
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
riddlervt

Post by riddlervt »

WFW, I agree it is worth the price and avoid the frustration. Question is, if and when they upgrade the launch facility and limit the boat and trailer parking to 40 rigs, where will you park? I spoke with Jim from the GI fish hatchery last night at the launch and he said the neighbors have already filed a grievance to the permit request. Hope it will not
delay the project....
Ridds