Sunny Sunday morning fishing

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Sunny Sunday morning fishing

Post by Fishdawg »

It's been a while since I have been out fishing, but met my nephew and his girlfriend for a trip down to Converse. Didn't get on until 7am and lots of boats launched before us. Set up off Pickett with 2 riggers and 2 slide divers. Right away we were getting shaker salmon on the riggers down at 50 ft. We fished to Thompson's catching 5 down that stretch and headed across the abyss to Split Rock. Once over there we started catching lakers, picking up 6 before heading back across to VT (one real heavy fish that wasn't real long but shaped like a whale and I would guestimate 8=9 lbs). We made the run north from Thompson's back towards Converse and got right back into the salmon. Just off Garden Isle we got into a good one that jumped several times but shook off the lure at the back of the boat. We got off the water before noon as the lake was getting crowded with sail and pleasure boaters. All fish came on the riggers set at 50 feet. Silver and blue blades on and ran the same 2 lures all morning tight to the ball (rainbow speedy shiners, one store bought and one a custom paint job that I did). It was good to get back out and good to see some bait and get some fish for the kids! One of the lakers did cough up a much digested smelt before we put it back, also dispatched a pretty good sized lamprey that didn't want to let go of the fish.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Re: Sunny Sunday morning fishing

Post by fishmaster176 »

Great way to spend a Sunday morning. It was busy all weekend on the lake. Everyone is taking advantage of the nice weather. Makes it a bit tough trying to troll among the pleasure boaters. I may start working weekends and fish weekdays. Glad you were on them.
Phantom (griz)
Species: all

Post by Phantom (griz) »

Nice to see you out there Steve.I did the same as you 10 shakers and 6 Lakers nothing big.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Good you got out Steve.
I played up in the Inland Sea with the Grand-kids. Fairly crowded there also, while we played with panfish and big Smallies.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Glad to hear you got out Steve. Thanks for the report!
Caiman (Shawn)
Species: Multi

Post by Caiman (Shawn) »

Steve-
I was out there with you on Sunday. (Black boat) We caught six salmon and eight lakers. The salmon came on green/white Honey Bees around 50' down as well. They were all small but a ton of them around. I tried deeper for bigger fish. I had one hook up on a big boy but it came off. Seems like the bigger salmon have been hard to come by lately for me. Spent the afternoon chasing lakers. 90'-100' down. Lots of sail boats around Converse area. Going back Saturday if the weather holds. Have any of you guy's had your graphs go nuts around Thompson's?? Seemed like every time we went by the point the graph would go crazy and blink and register all kinds of depths with weird interference but as soon as we got away it would clear up... CHAMP??
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt
Sea Hare
Species: all species

Post by Sea Hare »

My graph always goes bonkers at Thompsons point. Don't know why, but every boat and every depthfinder I've had does the same thing.. puzzling, but maybe someone has the answer??
Jon
It's not just a unit of measure !
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Someone told me it is the minerals in the rocks.Happens to me near Split Rock too.
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Post by homewrecker »

I think it's because it is so deep so close to shore that the cone from the graph hits the side wall and give back multiple depths, I think
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Same here on the weird readings at that spot. The ricochet theory makes sense.
spinner
Species: salmon

Post by spinner »

I have never had problems there but at split rock is were I see my graph going crazy. Off the point it will tell me it.s 35 feet and I have my ball down 60 and I know it a couple hundred to 400 feet deep there. Also if I turn the graph off it will not read bottom until I get close to the rocks in about 80 feet . I always thaught that there was some kind off electric cable underwater that was making this happen. I use a lowrance x50 and there no other place on the pond that this happens.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

There is an underground elecrical cable (on the Noaa charts) between Grand Isle and Cumberland head that when trolling over looks like an Oscilloscope went out of control on the sonar image. Maybe a similar issue near Split or Thompsons. Twilight zone kind of stuff or Bermuda triangle.
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

I run into the same weird jumping around on the depths near Thompson's. Also sometimes when crossing the abyss over the real deep stuff. Looks like I may be on the water in that area Saturday with Dean (Homewrecker) aboard. Hoping the "earlybird gets the worm!"
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Fishdawg wrote:I run into the same weird jumping around on the depths near Thompson's. Also sometimes when crossing the abyss over the real deep stuff. Looks like I may be on the water in that area Saturday with Dean (Homewrecker) aboard. Hoping the "earlybird gets the worm!"

Ohhhh that sounds like a fun crew...... Good luck guys!
Matt B
littleship
Species: salmon, etc.

Post by littleship »

Glad to hear it's not just me with the similar readings in that area. Or no readings some times.
Lord, if you can't help me, PLEASE don't help that bear!