Ten/Eleven/Twelve "Bomb Pops Rule"

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

Ten/Eleven/Twelve "Bomb Pops Rule"

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Play on the date today for the subject.

Should I stay or should I go this am.? 20 mph from the West at Colchester reef at 6 am. and it was howling at the house in Essex. Looked at the Diamond data and it was a tale of two cities. 5-7 mph at Diamond. Game on!

Solo trip today just like a month ago only this time the lake was 10" higher. No one at the ramp but Super cab ahead of me going perchin. The trailer tires were at the end of the new ramp. Last month it was past that on the old ramp and the old concrete bars look like a train wreck at the end of the new ramp. No man's land. But the lake at 94.71 feet is a good thing. Need more rain still.

Had the motor just about out of the water as I made my way out for the first 200 yards or so. No problem. Starting setting up at 9:15 am. where I left off a month ago in deep water west of Garden Island. Screen was blank as the waves were about a foot setting up. The autopilot was keeping me at 190 degrees side ways to the west chop. I was seeing a good temp. break at 60 feet. 54 degrees. This is cool! Surface was 58 degrees.

Went over to Split Rock past the ball grabber down to the Unicorn and came back thru the Randy's Abyss. Wind really started kicking up now from the West about 18-20 mph and about 10:30 am I pulled em and ran right in front of the Essex Ferry turned south and set-up in a 6" chop with deep water and great protection. Marking very little as I ran 115 feet of water down the shoreline and back to Split.

By this time I had 3 stockies to show. ShayeD called to check in and then Todd. Well they brought me some luck. Hit a master angler Cisco with the tail squeezed for a precise measurement it hit 14" and 2 lbs on the IGFA certified Boga. It hit a Crazy Ivan "Army Truck". Gotta love that pattern.

Set back up and this time and then the rod parked at 60' ft with the probe. The rod pops as I hear some drag with a Bomb Pop. Hoping it's a good salmon, but it stopped running and there was the familiar concrete block at the other end. Remember that one I lost with Surprise on Feb. 1st this year on his boat? This one wasn't quite that big but it did tape out at 27" and 6 lbs. on the Boga and it was in the same spot where we lost the big block. Well after a slow effort at this point I was ok with a pre-spawn mature laker. Wind laid down again and finished the troll at 12:30 pm and scratched out a legal salmon on the bigger bomb pop.

For a windy day forecast up north on the main lake I was happy to get out and add 3 more hours to my meager 8 hours total on the water with the lines down for the past 3 months. Would have preferred to fish out of the Coast Guard station and zipped across to Willsboro but it is nice to get out and fish in the very fishable area near Converse. It has saved us dozens of times in the past 6 years to get out fishing. The Bomb Pop's continue to amaze me as I keep at least two in the water along with my fixed cheaters. Returned to 4 trailers at the launch with two of them showing Mass. plates.

Life is good!

Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Ten/Eleven/Twelve "Bomb Pops Rule"

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Ron for that nice report.
Glad you got out and wet some lines.

Thanks for the pics, its always nice when someone shares their good info.
Hope to see you soon at the frost bite.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Way to go Ron,

I'm pushing hard on the "honey do's" and Looking forward to The Shootout !!!!
Fish On!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great report Ron! Thanks for the detail and pics.... Headed down there Sat AM. Hope the salmon are active....
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Very nice Ron!!!Those lures look great!!! Things should start heating up soon!! Sleeps
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Thanks for the view of your track.

K
Black Ghost (Ken)
bumpnrun
Species: salmon

Post by bumpnrun »

Way to get out Ron, I wanted to fish friday but i have to put a new garage door on ,and its my fifty fifth year alive and hope to fish 55 more.ROG.
Roger Lav
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:...Solo trip today...Screen was blank...Marking very little as I ran 115 feet of water down the shoreline and back to Split....By this time I had 3 stockies to show......scratched out a legal salmon on the bigger bomb pop...Life is good!
"screen was blank" That was basically my experience last time out a week or so back and oddly enough other than the fact that I ran north a mile past the Boquet delta hoping to find bait your GPS looks like my track less my four passes in Whalons. The difference is that you struck silver and I didn't.

I was really interested in the breakdown on the fishhawk, too.

Thanks for the report and the lures. Great pics!

Mark
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

A great effort Ron...with a great report.
I stayed home 10-11-12. Amazing how it was so windy and gusty here, yet down along the western shore line you were able to fish!
Thanks for the look.
Oh-your MA Cisco beat mine of 10-8-12 by 1/2"...
Although that may be because I ripped the face off mine :?:
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Raz wrote:A great effort Ron...with a great report.
I stayed home 10-11-12. Amazing how it was so windy and gusty here, yet down along the western shore line you were able to fish!
Thanks for the look.
Oh-your MA Cisco beat mine of 10-8-12 by 1/2"...
Although that may be because I ripped the face off mine :?:

My Sister Sue has coached me when you measure a fish you squeeze the tail together to get a true measurement of that fish according to the pros. So if the fish looks 1/4" short against the ruler by squeezing the tail together it makes the 14" claim. :) Just a disclaimer for the ruler photo. ;)

I wouldn't recommend this method on a 2 3/4" Spike horn back in the day.
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

Great report and photos Ron. Glad you pulled the trigger and filled us in. Nice cisco slab
digitroll (ron)

Gecha (Gerry) wrote:Thanks Ron for that nice report.
Glad you got out and wet some lines.

Thanks for the pics, its always nice when someone shares their good info.
Hope to see you soon at the frost bite.

It's always a challenge when fishing a 3 hour window and you place your bets. That was a beauty you caught last Monday Gerry for 3 hours effort solo. Thats what makes it fun and a challenge fishing 3 hours with 2 rods and the autopilot! Sharing good information is what it's all about. It helps everyone. And vice versa.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Great report.... Thanks for al the details.
Todd
Brian
Species: fin fish

Post by Brian »

Congrats on the VT Mater Angler cisco Ron! I saw it first on the VTF&W site, good fish!
Got bass thumb?
muskytime
Species: Bass/Salmon

Post by muskytime »

Now I now it's you Ron who I crossed at Thompson pte !!

I also caught I cisco Saturday, good report.
Claude