Bass still biting this weekend?

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
KJBisFishin
Species: bass

Bass still biting this weekend?

Post by KJBisFishin »

I'm hoping the wind will be calm this weekend and I was hoping to get out on the water. Do you guys think it's a bad idea or if not, would suggest LM down south or SM up north? I doubt I'll be in this area next spring so I want to take advantage of al my time here. Thanks everyone - KB
vtbass
Species: Bass, Northern Pike, Muskie

Re: Bass still biting this weekend?

Post by vtbass »

Vermont's bass fishing season ended November 30th on all waters, including Lake Champlain.

New York has an extended catch-and-release season for Champlain, so you have to make sure you're fishing in NY waters.
vtbassin
Species: Iwill happily reel in any fish

Post by vtbassin »

KJB if you are in Vergennes Otter Creek above the falls is open all year for bass fishing. No size limit - 5 fish/day.

Shawn why don't bass get a little more love and protection on Otter Creek?
vtbass
Species: Bass, Northern Pike, Muskie

Post by vtbass »

George - back when these rules were established, bass resources in rivers weren't considered to be a signnificant fishery. Mostly it was incidental catch. There was little to no pressure on or interest in these fisheries to warrant management activities. It's not really known whether anyone even targets bass through the winter on these waters, let alone actually harvest any fish there.

The year round bass season, no length limit, daily harvest limit of 5 fish regulation is on more waters than just Otter Creek.

Applicable waters:
  • Black River (CTR Trib.) from Connecticut River boundary upstream to Lovejoy Dam in Springfield
  • Lamoille River from Peterson Dam upstream to Fairfax Falls Dam in Fairfax
  • Missisquoi River from Swanton Dam to Sheldon Springs Falls Dam in Sheldon Springs
  • Otter Creek from Vergennes Dam upstream to Center Rutland Falls.
  • Ompompanoosuc River from Connecticut River boundary upstream Thetford Dam
  • Waits River from Connecticut River boundary (US Rte 5 bridge) upstream to Central Vermont Power Dam in Bradford
  • West River from Connecticut River boundary (US Rte 5 bridge) upstream to the VT Rte 100 bridge in Jamaica
  • White River from the Connecticut River boundary (US Rte 5 bridge) upstream to the Route 107 bridge in Bethel
  • Williams River from the Connecticut River boundary (US Rte 5 bridge) upstream to Brockway Mills Falls in Rockingham
  • Winooski River from the Winooski One Hydro Dam upstream to upstream to the Bolton Dam in Duxbury and Waterbury