(Cheating the wind) Wednesday report "Thompsons"

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

(Cheating the wind) Wednesday report "Thompsons"

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Hit the water today with my very good friend Pat Church aka 4C's. We had a short window of 4 hours to fish today as we launched at 9 am out of Converse with one small trailer in the parking lot. Wind was blowing pretty good on the way down and there was a Lake wind advisory on the early NOAA update. That didn't phase us a bit. :mrgreen: There was 1 foot waves on the lee of Thompsons no problem! Fish were biting right out of the chute as we tried a few different delivery systems today. 3 colors of lead on an inline walleye board and the other side had a 2 oz. Torpedo diver with 1 rod on each side riggers. The rest of the day we had a 6" chop with no need for the heater today. It was hard getting the fish to stick with knockoffs today and dropped fish once hooked. No size and we ended up with 3 salmon clones and 3 lake trout that made it to the back of the boat along with 20 releases today. Best lure was a silver blank taped with the Fathead special colors for me. Best depth was 15 to 20 feet. Marked some big hooks 50-60 feet and had a few bites from there with blades and crazy ivan colors. Speed was a bit slower than usual at 2.3 GPS and the surface temp. was 51 balmy degrees.

Very fun 4 hours fishing with Pat today and not sure where the nice salmon are this Fall, but it is nice to get out nonetheless. The weather was outstanding today and it sure beat work!

Next week watching the kids out of school on Wednesday so the next report weather permitting is Nov. 30th in two weeks.

Good luck and stay safe.

R
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: (Cheating the wind) Wednesday report "Thompsons"

Post by Reelax »

Great report Ron, nice detail... I know if a big boy was hungry you two woulda found him... Guess I am glad I had to work today....
Matt B
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Thanks Ron for the report.
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

When I looked at 8AM, the Wife's laundry was right out straight on the line, so I didn't even try...

Glad you got out, and glad you got a few...
There was a young man from Nantucket...
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

great talking to you guys today!Only a matter of time and the big ones will be around.
Todd
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Thanks for your report Ron, nice you and Pat made it out. Whats the chances the big ones will come around every 2 or 3 years?, after the alewive die off. Just wondering looking at Todds avetar maybe there's some kinda pattern!
KEN K.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Pat and I noticed the absence of the big bait balls or piles (bright yellow on the HDS-5) we would see 2 years ago during that mining bonanza everyone experienced in that area. Maybe it wasn't the right day?

There is bait but not the concentrations we have seen in the past. The bait could be somewhere else too. A month ago all you would see is bait off the winooski up to colchester reef solid. The bait and silver fish are somewhere. 6 nice fish were caught during the shoot-out. That was encouraging!

The nice thing about a windy day is we can fish down there and get out on the pond without fighting the wheel.

We will try a few more times before the salt and sand hits the road once the snow flies around December 10-14th the last 4 years. That is when I say "uncle" and winterize the motor and keep the boat looking new (in the mancave) by avoiding these road conditions 45 minutes each way.

Starting to get near the end of the season with a few more trips left. :D
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Glad you got out Ron.
I have today off with intentions of getting out this afternoon if the morning honey-do list goes well.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

It was a great 4hr trip and Thanks Ron for letting me tag along. I buttoned up the 4C's for the year this past Monday so it was nice to be able to get on the water again. Like Ron said it was very fish able on the lee of Thompson and as Ron and I talked about the fishing not seeing those big bait balls/columns was the first thing we noticed compared with years past. When we did find bait we had releases but these were over smaller bait balls which I would say were smelt, it was the large columns of alewife bait that were missing. The water temp was a constant 51.5 degrees from surface down to 70', no turnover yet which is just another factor to add in, usually by now the water temp would be in the low 40's. The fish were caught from 15' to 60' down, the Crazy Ivan Red Monkey Puke running at 21' down had the most releases on my side. Totally different year then expected with all the changes but hopefully things will turn around before we go right into a deep freeze.

Thanks again Ron !!!!!

Pat
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a fun day. Glad a couple of fish cooperated. Like you're saying, just a couple of weeks before that snow flies! Let's catch a few before then.