Salmon Hole 11/3

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Matt
Species: Any

Salmon Hole 11/3

Post by Matt »

Where do I even begin...?? What a crazy day!!

I headed down later in the day today, planning on meeting Rick (Mudchuck) down there to show him some spots and techniques for the weekend. Arrived before 11, started at the point and within an hour I had my first fish on.

Nice 18-20" of Steeeeeeel

A few hours later, I had finally rotated to using my trusty Yo-Zuri. A few casts in, WWWWOMP WOMP! Felt like a tree...

I knew what it was right away, he was digging his nose towards the bottom, a big Laker!

In the net he goes after some crazy tug of war, and out pops the treble....whew! :o :o

Woah! I never noticed how huge these things heads were, what a dome on this guy!

Laid him alongside my net, marked where his tail ended up on my net string (He was about 6" longer than my whole net, but you can't tell by the picture because of the angle)
Took some pictures and then video of me releasing him. Didn't think he'd be that long, but after measuring where he ended up on my net, 30"!!!

Checked the Master Angler website again for the length requirement...30"! Awwww yeaaaaah.

Headed to the beach after that, Rick was going to be at the Hole around 4:30 so I figured I'd let it cool off until about 4. Headed back over and tossed a few spawn sacs, got snagged and re-tied.

Instead of tying on a hook I figured I'd try something different. Some "trout magnet"s I picked up at Dick's...didn't bother using them until now, figured they wouldn't even work anyway. Rigged it with a float, tossed out as far as I could and tucked my rod under my arm to take out my phone to check the time.

After checking the time, I grabbed my rod and looked out towards the end of my line to watch my float.

Wheres my float?

WACK WACK WACK!!!

FISH ON!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
zzz

zzzz

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ out PAST the rock pile, holy crap!

Runs straight towards me, turns to his left and heads STRAIGHT down the rapids..oh NO!!! He hugged the side of the cliff in the middle of the rapids, I thought I was snagged...dead weight!!

What's going on?

I jumped over the rocks, kept tension on my line and then got right above him where he was holding.

Right after I got there he takes right off upstream again!!!

ZZZZZZzzzZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!

Jumped BACK over the rocks and had a seat on the point with my net next to me. At this point Rick had just arrived, just in time!

Told him I had a monster Steelhead on, so he watched me battle it out with it for about 10 minutes, and then it happened...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ right downstream into the rapids, NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I jumped over the rocks and ran alongside the rocks, holding my pole in one hand while the fish stripped off line

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Another guy showed up, held my pole for me while I hopped over a downed tree chasing this fish down the rapids. He would NOT stop...

I was right in front of the small stream that seperates the rocks down there...I said screw it, I can't lose this fish.

Walked through 2 feet of freezing cold water to the other side, still fighting the fish.

Got in a spot to where there was calmer water in front of me to land this fish.

At this point the fish was at least 40 yards out into the rapids...STILL taking line!!!!

Then it did something even more amazing, barged right over the small waterfalls all the way over at the beach!!!!! :o :o

Time to move again....I hopped back in the water and slid alongside the riverbanks in water past my knees, breaking off tree branches with one hand, rod in the other, still fighting the fish.

Finally made it to the beach, the fish STILL WASN'T DONE FIGHTING!

He held in the current about 40 yards out, pumping his tail and head shaking periodically.

FINALLY he started coming in, slowly....Rick stood on the edge of the water, net in hand ready for him.

Kept my rod as high as I could, making sure he didn't wrap me around a snag..

I couldn't believe I fought this fish for so long, and how far downriver it took me..

IN THE NET!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

25" of pure POWER! I was convinced this fish was over 8 LB's the way it was fighting. Still a BIG and THICK fish!!

What an awesome experience. Hardest fighting fish I've ever landed...just unreal!!!

Thanks to Rick for helping with some pictures and netting the fish!!!

By the time I got back to the point, the guy (John) that lent me his net was fishing it, and Tiny was out on the rock pile fishing as well. Not even 10 minutes after we were back, John was into some nice Steel, about a 4 LBer. Ran towards him in the calm water next to the rock, porpoised out of the water and SNAP, he was gone...damn!!

Right as that fish got off, Tiny was hooked up!! After a nice battle in the faster water, his friend helped him land it and they got some pictures and a measurement (28.75" he says.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: " I want proof Tiny :mrgreen:

I didn't even really fish much after I landed that hog...just chatted with Rick about techniques and spots. Talked until dark and he was kind enough to give me a lift home (I was soaked almost from my waist down... :shock:

Awesome day, I'll never forget it. Never would I have thought I'd hook a fish on the point and land it way down on the beach after at least 30 minutes..
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Re: Salmon Hole 11/3

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Holy sh#t Matt!!!!! Boy do you have it dialed in great report and pics!!!! Congrats!!! You have your own little heaven right there!!!! Thanks for sharing !! Sleeps
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

You are a fishing animal. Congratulations on a great fish. Most excellent read as usual. Thanks for sharing. Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing
vtperchman
Species: all

Post by vtperchman »

nice one :)
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

He fish the hole like a boss !

Congratulations
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Thanks everyone. Uploaded the Laker release, check it out here.

Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Another excellent and exciting post....
You found your fishing paradise, enjoy it as much as you can.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
bumpnrun
Species: salmon

Post by bumpnrun »

nice job matt.
Roger Lav
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Holy crap Matt...a Master Laker and a Master Chrome.
What a fantastic day for you!!! Congrats...Very well done!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Great read Matt outstanding and congratulations! :)
KEN K.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Another stellar edition to the salmon hole chronicles by Matt the king of the hole! Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow at the shoot out.

Thanks for the looks and the great read!
Last edited by Reelax on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt B
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Looks like another wonderful day!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Post by Tire Jockey »

Great looking fish Matt! You have got em dialed in for sure!
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Funtastic!! to look and read as usual!!
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Tremendous Matt! This is starting to be "old hat" for you. Your rewriting the master angler program. :mrgreen: