Converse 11/2 Wednesday

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

Converse 11/2 Wednesday

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Short pre-shoot-out report.

Wanted to fish the main lake but, the winds from hell were blowing so Don and I decided to stick with Converse (only my 3rd trip there this year). Mike wanted to go to complete the dress rehearsal for the shoot-out team, but work was busy for him today. Started at 9:00 am and fished till 3:00 pm.

Things started slow the first 2.5 hours and then things started firing as the wind dropped down to 12 mph to finish a very busy second half of the day. All told we had 25 releases and finished with 12 fish today. No real size today but the catch consisted of 2/3's lakers and 1/3 salmon of the 12 not counting the occasional Cisco.

Don's side of the boat was on fire today! My side was lukewarm. :)

Nice chatting to Mike P, Randy Heijac, Randy Surprise, and the "Cab". :mrgreen:

Again, Congrats to Randy for that lunker steel yesterday!

Good luck to everyone Saturday in the 3rd annual shoot-out.
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Re: Converse 11/2 Wednesday

Post by voyager »

Ron, sounds like it turned out pretty good for your scouting trip. It's tough when it's blowing hard, but you made the best of it. Nice job and thanks for sharing...
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Ron, good stuff!! Did you notice if any of the Lakers were females holding eggs? I'm hoping somebody somewhere gets a few big Lakers with eggs. Let me know if you can :)
digitroll (ron)

Matt,

The lakers should be spawning in another week or two. Typically during deer season that is when the fish and game collects there eggs in Whalon and up in front of the Ferry near the hatchery. Our fish were small 2-3 lb lakers not mature yet to spawn. Mike P did get a big 31 inch Laker about 8 lbs as it was skinny he told me from hits?. May have been a male?

Typically we don't see the bigger lakers this time of year as they are getting ready to spawn at least I have never caught a laker full of eggs this time of year targeting salmon.

I think our ratio was more 50 / 50 salmon and lakers yesterday. I goofed. Don caught 90% of them. My bad!

Can't wait till Saturday.

Ron
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the report Ron, I am looking forward to Saturday.... Gonna have the wife make some 7 layer dip for the BBQ.... :P
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

7 layer dip! Yum Yum! Awesome.

Another interesting storyline yesterday. Don's two rods were on fire yesterday with 20 releases and my side was 5 releases. Last week I fished two rods fishing solo and with great success.

Sometimes 2 rods will catch most of your fish and the thought of more rods ie. 6 or 8 rod spread can sometimes be a point of diminishing returns.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Matt,

The lakers should be spawning in another week or two. Typically during deer season that is when the fish and game collects there eggs in Whalon and up in front of the Ferry near the hatchery. Our fish were small 2-3 lb lakers not mature yet to spawn. Mike P did get a big 31 inch Laker about 8 lbs as it was skinny he told me from hits?. May have been a male?

Typically we don't see the bigger lakers this time of year as they are getting ready to spawn at least I have never caught a laker full of eggs this time of year targeting salmon.

I think our ratio was more 50 / 50 salmon and lakers yesterday. I goofed. Don caught 90% of them. My bad!

Can't wait till Saturday.

Ron
Interesting...thanks for the info. Maybe someone will get lucky and get a big ol' hen. They aren't sexually mature until they're much older right, like 7 years old?
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

Glad you got out...

The USF&W guys were out two nights this week...

Wondering what they found, but have not caught up to them to ask...
There was a young man from Nantucket...
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

Ron,

Thanks for the trip. It is always a pleasure to fish on the Digitroll. You are a great host. It did seem that my side of the boat was a bit more active.

It was a great shakedown trip getting ready for the shootout.

Oh, the clip goes on the line too. :mrgreen:

Don
digitroll (ron)

I think it was some of that luck that came from Ontario your last trip out. That is a good thing. :mrgreen:

I need to practice hooking the swivel around the main line instead of the rubber band as I was rigging one of Don's rods. Of course it turned out to be the biggest salmon of the day lost on that cheater. Good thing it wasn't the derby. :o
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

It was my bad, too much time talking on the phone.
Oh, we need to remember to keep Mikey off the phone when he is driving. :mrgreen:
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

Sounds like another good outing - hoping to get some water time this weekend.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Ron...you weren't trying to sabotage Don's side of the boat were you? :ugeek:

Thanks for the report!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

In one way I did Raz. I had a banana on board the first 2.5 hours and it jinxed the fleet till I ate it. :mrgreen: After that rods were popping.