12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing, trout and salmon pics a

Post by fishy1 »

tried my luck again this morning on a lake champlain tributary. got there around 8 am with another fisherman just starting with waders in front of me. he landed a nice salmon within 15 minutes . then 10 minutes later he lost one and im still without a hit. he then moved down stream about 25 yards and he had a big brown or a salmon jump clear out of the water 10 feet from him. he was startled and then turned to me and laughed. as he moved farthur down the river i still had no hits. then around 9:30 am i landed a small 17 inch brown. 15 minutes later i landed a 18 inch salmon. at 10 am the fisherman came back from downstream and landed 2 more salmon out in front of me. 3 other fisherman came and left with no luck. the fisherman that landed the 4 salmon said he had to leave . i left at 11: 45 am with only one more hit. i was using curly tails white grubs all morning. heading for another river as soon as possible maybe a little closer to the lake. nice morning on the water and saw several decent fish rise.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fished a champlain tributary this morning and hooked up with matt. got off to a good start with matt getting 2 hits early and then landing a nice 20 plus inch brown. my start was slow and i kept changing lures and colors and so on. put on a blue quiver since the water was fast today and after about 2 or 3 minutes i casted it out in the fast water towards the middle and soon as it hit bang fish on. it quickly came off as fast as it hit. nice fish saw most of it when it busted water. then after those matt didnt have no more hits and i had a stop pull and drop on a streamer. went up river to fish and there was a strong odor of gasoline in the river and matt had it on his waders. lots of it on the shore lines and running down the river. matt acted fast and called the spill teams to report it. we then took a break and went home as the weather was wet and chilly. we had fun this morning and had a great start while matt saw a nice brown swim right by him on the shore line. were going to hit it again soon.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishy1 wrote:fished a champlain tributary this morning and hooked up with matt. got off to a good start with matt getting 2 hits early and then landing a nice 20 plus inch brown. my start was slow and i kept changing lures and colors and so on. put on a blue quiver since the water was fast today and after about 2 or 3 minutes i casted it out in the fast water towards the middle and soon as it hit bang fish on. it quickly came off as fast as it hit. nice fish saw most of it when it busted water. then after those matt didnt have no more hits and i had a stop pull and drop on a streamer. went up river to fish and there was a strong odor of gasoline in the river and matt had it on his waders. lots of it on the shore lines and running down the river. matt acted fast and called the spill teams to report it. we then took a break and went home as the weather was wet and chilly. we had fun this morning and had a great start while matt saw a nice brown swim right by him on the shore line. were going to hit it again soon.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Had fun this morning for sure. Water was moving pretty good in most places and I think it put the fish on the move so they were harder to find but that water over there was beautiful. Only a little over an hour away from the new house so I'll def be visiting more often! Hope they found the source of the gas. Man was that smell strong. I could smell it on my waders on the way home! Took a much needed nap when I got home too. Haven't been able to do that in a while.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

my ist option was to go shore fishing for lakers but the wind i beleive was actually worse than wednesday so i went to one of my favorite rivers for salmon and browns. got there around 7:30 am and there were fish surfacing on both sides of the river and just me to try and catch them. within 15 minutes i had a good hit and missed. then in about another 15 minutes my line stopped set the hook a little bit to see if i was hooked up and it busted water and i landed a nice brown maybe 16 inches or so. then a short while later another hit and another miss. soon it was 9 am and only 1 fish landed shortly after that i had a good hit and this time it was hooked and i landed another brown maybe the same size as the other. so i decided i wanted to land some salmon so moved up river a ways. got up there and had the river to myself again. saw several fish busting water but nothing overly big. changed my lures to a trolling lure and ist cast bang landed a nice salmon and then the fun began. 4th or 5th cast i had a big hit with the salmon busting water and throwing my lure sky high. i was really excited then and kept throwing that lure in the same spot and retrieving it on the surface. had several swipe at it every 5th or 6th cast. then a little later one swiped at it and i stopped the retrieve and bang it nailed it. a nice brown maybe 18 inches or so. then several more cast and more swipes and no takers. it was getting close to lunch time and was going to head home when i had yet another swipe at it and it actually moved my lure about 3 feet so i just left it there and held the line tight for about 5 minutes or so when splash and there was this salmon flying in the air and with my lure in his mouth landed him and released him. had a great day on the river and saw at least 15 or so swim right by my feet. did i forget to tell that my net was in the pickup and landed the fish and unhooked them in the water. no pics unhooked the spawning fish in the water and released them. like to thank crazy ivan for my success with one of his lures.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

the toImagep side of the crazy ivan lure.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishy1 wrote:the toImagep side of the crazy ivan lure.
the bottom of the lure
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Glad you had a bunch of tight lines today, and great salmon fight. These are days you remember for a long time.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Looks like a Morning Glory, my best lure for two years running now. I don't go a day without using one. Sounds like a great day on the water. That lure is known to be good on dark overcast days or early morning or evening.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

C-Hawk wrote:Looks like a Morning Glory, my best lure for two years running now. I don't go a day without using one. Sounds like a great day on the water. That lure is known to be good on dark overcast days or early morning or evening.
jeff:
you got it right. took it out of the package and said what the heck if they work trolling why not in the river. it was a cloudy day with a light drizzle. it was fun watching those fish crush it. the best thing is i didnt get hung up with it . i lost 2 lures downstream earlier. going to try other trolling lures on my next visit to a river.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

hit my ist tributary this morning around 9:20 am with 3 fisherman already in the hole i planned on targeting so i moved down river and found a little pocket of water with 2 or 3 nice salmon in it. threw nymphs wooly buggers everything i had with no takers in the next 2 hours. then left and hit my last tributary and got there around noon. had the river to myself when i ist got there saw no fish rising and no takers. some fisherman came and i was talking to them and they hadnt caught a fish all morning and didnt see any rise either. so i decided to go down river where i could use weights and lures and give it one more shot before heading home. on my 7th cast with a fire tiger phoebe on i had real sharp hit and hooked into a nice salmon. not overly big 20 inches but at least i wasnt going to get skunked. threw a few more casts and went home. not a great day anywhere i went but others were having the same kind of day.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

Im still working on catching a 20"er, one of these days for sure, have you seen the page views for this thread by the way? over 4K!!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fished a river for a few hours today took a little break from the lakers. didnt do well trying throw a nymph fly against that wind with my salmon/steelhead rod but i was going to keep trying. tossed it for 2 hours and caught 2 small browns approx. 13 or 14 inches. no salmon takers.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

I got to find one of those browns here on the VT side. i think i will try out some trolling flies with leadcore. Saw some fat lakers on my fish finder last i went out too. i think they may be extremely skittish for whatever reason. the presentation might be good with leadcore offering for those large lake trout. i hear good things about using a black ghost or smelt streamer.
i tried every spoon and crank i owned for the lakers last time, i think finesse may be the ticket
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

i saw a video somewhere 2 fisherman were casting streamers and jigging them and were getting some real nice lakers. they seem to work well in the rivers also for browns. browns are real spooky and mostly bite the during night life. go get those lakers.