12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Post by fishy1 »

i went up north this morning to try for that elusive brown i would like to catch over 5lbs. it was frigid to say the least and around 6 degrees when i arrived so i decided to use a favorite gulp bubble gum worm with one split shot. i needed to keep it simple and to keep my reel and pole from icing up to the point i wouldnt be able to cast out. for 2 hours i worked that worm with only one following it and it spooked when it saw me. i was getting a little numbness in my fingers now so i was about to walk to the pickup to warm up when a fish exploded out of the water and suddenly my pole jerked down and my numbness went away . he made a run for the opposite side of the river then suddenly turned back towards me and went right under a big chunk of floating ice and cut my line. nice fish looked like a salmon but really dont know for sure so i walked to the truck laughing and said to myself ill be back. despite being cold that fish made my day and i went home happy. matt have you had any problems with the cold and ice build up with the rods and reels you use. i had plenty today. i used the gulp worm mostly by jerking it and trying to keep it in the water as long as i could.
Last edited by fishy1 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Matt
Species: Any

Re: 12/8/2104 frostbite river fishing for trout and salmon

Post by Matt »

I had shelf ice break off a really big salmon a few weekends ago...it sucks!! Also have lost fish because of iced guides....sucks too!
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

Spray your guides with Pam olive oil the night before and when starting. Not kidding Works great
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

It's definitely more technically challenging than frost bite trolling in subfreezing conditions, especially when yyou're alone.

I was surprised that I landed the fish the other day. I got him on my 5 wt rod/reel/line and used a 4x tippet. I felt like a newbie trying to retrieve him (i quickly ditched the gloves) and fumbling with my net.
Black Ghost (Ken)
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

bagman wrote:Spray your guides with Pam olive oil the night before and when starting. Not kidding Works great
Thanks for the tip.
Black Ghost (Ken)
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

bagman wrote:Spray your guides with Pam olive oil the night before and when starting. Not kidding Works great
Makes sense. I use it on my snowblower.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

thanks for the tip im going to try it very soon.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

went back up north again today for a few hours with not much luck. 3 of my freinds had arrived already and were fishing where i normally set up . so crossed and went on the other side of the river where there was a big ice build up and limited my casting distance. had a brown bust me off within the ist 15 minutes there. then the next 2 hours was sluggish with only 2 spooked fish following a pro troll shad i was twitching. was a nice 35 degree balmy day today but just couldnt cast far enough to hook up because of the ice flow. my freinds on the other side were doing well though and caught a pig brown after i left. i will put the pic on here if he gives me his permission. after this storm blows through going to try and get up there again.
Attachments
image5.JPG
image4.JPG
image3.JPG
image2.JPG
image1 (2).JPG
image.jpg
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

a nice brown trout getting ready to spawnImage
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Black Ghost (Ken) wrote:It's definitely more technically challenging than frost bite trolling in subfreezing conditions, especially when yyou're alone.

I was surprised that I landed the fish the other day. I got him on my 5 wt rod/reel/line and used a 4x tippet. I felt like a newbie trying to retrieve him (i quickly ditched the gloves) and fumbling with my net.
how did you manage to get the gloves off? i tried but didnt have time and my hands were numb and the net was 10 feet away from me. at least you got the fish wished i got mine. still fun though and challenging.
fishy1

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing, trout and salmon pics a

Post by fishy1 »

the pictures above are some freinds of mine that did well at the river. several browns and salmon busted them off that day also.
Here's another:
Attachments
image.jpg
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fished a river today for about an hour with not much luck . did some sight fishing ist and spotted a couple of nice browns but no bites. it was 6 degrees and a 5 or 10 mph wind which was a bit chilly. rod and line kept freezing up . my wife rode up with me so we went to plattsburgh and did some shopping and warmed up. i also picked up a spray can of olive oil for my rod guides which was the ist thing on my list.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

rivers are kind of quiet right now anyone out there having a luck in the rivers as of late? not much safe ice on the lakes and ponds right now so i would like to do some more frostbite river fishing.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

went river fishing today and had 2 good bites and they both threw my lures. i was useing a 1/8 ounce luhr jensen quiver brown trout and both fish had the little treble hooks wrapped right around the quivers body. my nephews son was with me and he had a good bite on a swim bait smelt. the wind was nasty out of the north and and had lots of freeze up guides but other than that we were happy in our couple of hours of frostbite river fishing. my nephews son was very cold and a little impatient but did very well for a young teenager. a freind of mine across the river did very well with his assortment of lures . he landed 3 brown trout and had 2 shake offs during the time we were there. restriction limits come off 2 rivers near me new years day so i am looking forward to hitting those 2 then. no safe ice out there yet
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

i fished a champlain tributary this morning that has just opened up for fishing due to closing it for 3 months for the salmon spawn. cold and windy conditions but the bite was on. ist twitch with a pink shad swimbait the pole jerked and fish on a nice 16 inch brown that had my swimbait almost down his throat. got the hook out and had to keep him i knew he wouldnt make it. 2nd cast and ist twitch a slight bump. 3rd cast and 2nd twitch fish on a nice 17 and half inch brown female. then there was a delay about 15 minutes and another fish on a nice 17 inch brown. then went back to my truck and unthaw my rod and spray some more pam olive oil on it. went back to the same hole and fish on the end cast he busted me off as soon as he busted water. he cut my swim bait right in half so i put another one on and the bite slowed but i did catch another brown. if any of you use the olive oil to spray your guides bring the spray with you because you will need it. it works for awhile but then seems to dissolve. sighted a couple of brute fish that im sure were browns but no takers. took some pictures of the brutes but the pics came out to dark to really see them as fish. matt i had a good hour and half of fishing this morning and the bite was on did you go?