Lack of Steelhead trapped at Hydro 1 this season?

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

Lack of Steelhead trapped at Hydro 1 this season?

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I haven't looked at the fish count in a few weeks at Hydro 1. Has there been any steelhead counted? Last year there was 1/3 or 50 fish counted.

A few weeks ago there was 2 or 3 which was kind of surprising compared to last year.
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Re: Lack of Steelhead trapped at Hydro 1 this season?

Post by champlain fisher »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:I haven't looked at the fish count in a few weeks at Hydro 1. Has there been any steelhead counted? Last year there was 1/3 or 50 fish counted.

A few weeks ago there was 2 or 3 which was kind of surprising compared to last year.
They just may not have been any go up into the lift. Also being spring spawners there just may not have been any major push of them yet. The steel in Champlain are the same strain as Ontario and the steel in Pulaski have just really started showing up the last 10 days or so in any kind of numbers.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

It will be interesting to see what the final tally will be regarding the steelhead either way in 4-5 weeks.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

I don't think the Steel try to migrate upstream as much as the Salmon do, since they're only coming up river to feed on eggs and whatnot. I've already landed 6 Steelhead this year, nothing big but they're definitely in there, just not showing up in the trap. I think the number as of yesterday were 9, and 1 Brown. But the Salmon count was almost 310. We'll just have to see once they start coming in a bit heavier.