So you think you have a "secret" spot?!

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
vtbass
Species: Bass, Northern Pike, Muskie

So you think you have a "secret" spot?!

Post by vtbass »

This is a post I made on another board last spring, but I thought it was worth reposting here. It was an eye-opener, at least to me :o

-------- Original Thread begins --------

So, you think you have a "secret spot" where you catch all those lunkers, and no one else knows about it? Think again!

Until this morning, I thought the same thing. There's medium sized pond near me that I like to fish. It's completely undeveloped. No homes or camps or anything on the lake. The spot I fish you have to drive in a long dirt road, then hike in to this spot where I fish at the tail-out of a small tributary that flows in. It's pretty secluded. In the spring, pre-spawn bass stack up in the current and feed on perch. I was catching some nice bass there a couple days ago from shore, and I lost a real nice lure that I decided I needed to get back. So, this morning I took a couple hours off and hiked in with my wetsuit, mask, snorkel and fins, and went for a swim.

I found my lure (not pictured). And a tackle-box worth of other ones (see below), none of which are mine. They all look practically new with little or no rust! Guess my secret spot isn't so secret after all.

I should also mention that all this stuff came from an area of lake bottom no more than 4 full-sized pick-ups parked next to each other two-by-two.

If this is just what I found in a little out-of-the-way spot like this (and all recently lost, it seems), what is in the bottom of our lakes, ponds, rivers and streams everywhere else !?!?

Scary!

I know that someone will suggest (as they did on the other board) that maybe someone just tipped over a tackle box by accident and lost all their lures. I'm pretty sure that's not the case for these reasons:

1. As I was laying the baits out for the picture, I had to cut 2-inches to-2 feet of line off every line tie. (It was obvious that each individual lure had been tied on and cast).

2. The baits weren't just "laying" on the bottom. There are lots of trees and stumps on the bottom at this location, and I pulled most of the lures off just a couple stumps and root wads - the hooks were buried. The rest I plucked from under sharp rocks, and I only knew there was a lure there because I could see the line fluttering in the current ... (they couldn't have been in these positions if they just sank from a spilled tackle box)

3. All the soft plastics pictured were not found as pictured .... they were rigged on the assortment of hooks shown, meaning they had been fished ...
Last edited by vtbass on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JK47
Species: All Species

Re: So you think you have a "secret" spot?!

Post by JK47 »

This is a cool post.

I've always wondered what lies below. Great pic of you finding. Those flat raps are a great find!!
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

I know a place in I.S with 15 feet of water, a Slide Diver and a Tamiron spoon is waiting for you :)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Ludo wrote:I know a place in I.S with 15 feet of water, a Slide Diver and a Tamiron spoon is waiting for you :)
Yup...I know of a place that holds a new pancake ball of mine with 200' of cable attached. Then, just south 1/4 mile another pancake ball of mine.

Great post...great thread...I'm sure many more will chime in!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
easilyamused
Species: any and all

Post by easilyamused »

Great story!

If you lose something you really, really can't live without - let me know ! I might be able to get it for you!.

Matt
MarknFish (Mark)
Species: All

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

That's very cool stuff. I can't imagine what the ball grabber at Split Rock looks like after seeing this.
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

I have made generous donations to both the Split Rock grabber and the ledge South of Thompsons. Oh the memories!
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Wow that's awesome. I might take a swim in the Salmon Hole next summer with some flippers and goggles on to get back about $100 worth of split-shots and lures I've lost...Can't imagine how much stuff I'll find.
vtbass
Species: Bass, Northern Pike, Muskie

Post by vtbass »

I'm telling ya, it opened my eyes to what is likely lying at the bottom of all our favorite fishing holes. Only the most recently lost stuff will still be good, it seems. A few new split rings and hooks will fix most spoons and crankbaits. Split shot should still be good, but beyond that, it's just garbage on the bottom.

It's why I go out of my way to try to pull out a hung lure. It kind of drives guys that I fish with crazy when I ask them to go in there so I can try and pull my bait out or off whatever it's hung on. It's not because I'm cheap and I want my $3 lure back (well, maybe it is kinda that :D ), but mostly it's because I don't want to add to the garbage I know is piling up down there!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

vtbass wrote:...it's because I don't want to add to the garbage I know is piling up down there!
Amen!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I have a Ray Jeff Probe back in 1989 lost in 50 feet of water in front of the Lamoille river. We think we hung up our weight and probe in some trees on the bottom during the LCI. Had to cut the cable to free it.
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

Thorny wrote:I have made generous donations to both the Split Rock grabber and the ledge South of Thompsons. Oh the memories!
Let's not forget the rock off the end of Long Point...
There was a young man from Nantucket...