There was a Derby?

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

There was a Derby?

Post by raz »

There are a million reasons not to get into a derby, from too busy--to--too lazy.
But my buddy Matt and I sat on the side lines during the LCI Fathers Day Derby...just to make it fair for everyone else. 8-)
Just kidding...

We decided to fish Monday, hoping for a little less traffic on the water and a parking spot at the ramp for us late starters. We started out at split rock about 7:30 and were into some very active, hard fighting, very fun, 5-6 pound class Lake Trout right off the bat. Slide divers seemed to be the ticket early, I was running the big Honeybee Kop Kar and Matt was doing....whatever on his side.

I think we boated like 8 fish or so before they decided to start short striking us and we had trouble hanging on to them. Matt has the numbers as I'm not good at counting above 3...5 on a good day.

Looking for silvers, Matt finally hooked up to a nice 5 pounder off a rigger that wrapped itself around a Diver line. After some sorting out the tangle, we put the fish in the box for a nice grilled meal or two. (Actually fish taco's tonight.)
I finally managed a "pure energy" 4 pound silver that tried like heck to fly away. (A surface to air missile would have been handy).

We had a riot, saw lots of forum members out and tons of others.

Matt lost the biggest Landlocked in the lake...his story to tell.

Oh yeah...I found smelt.
Attachments
IMG_1331.jpg
IMG_1322.jpg
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Re: There was a Derby?

Post by Off season »

Raz, was that you at Westport Launch around 2ish yesterday ? We had HT Trophy in parking lot. 2 Bald Guys! LOL
"OFF SEASON"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Not me!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

Beautiful raz. I want one! All lakers for me again. To slow I guess.
Will nolan "swilly"
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

What a trip.

Consistent Laker bite with a few silvers mixed in.

Like I had said to Raz earlier in the day all we had to do was put the time in with the slime and we would be rewarded with a monster silver. By 1:30pm we had 13 lakers and 3 salmon in the boat and were hoping for more action.

Right off Thompson's Point as we were passing Matt (VTfishin)...

The rigger down 40 back 10 on my side fires with a honey Bee Effie's dream blue ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
The fish comes to the surface after the initial run at about 80 yards back. It turns and heads with the dorsal fin and line ripping top of water straight at the boat. I am reeling as fast as I can and still can't get the line tight..... (fastest salmon I have even seen) It runs right up the starboard side of the boat and turns directly at us, just clearing the rigger on that side as it passed right behind the boat, still right on top. At this point I had only 5 feet of line out with everything tight, trying to keep him on...... Still on the surface, Raz and I got a good look at this fish 10 feet back as it passed by at 25+mph... 30+ inches and well over 4 lbs bigger than the 7.25 fish I got last year... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ He continued right by the boat pulling another 50+ yards off the reel, getting around the silde diver setup on the port side.. We were able to clear that, but he swapped ends and started right back toward the boat again and...................................................................................................................................................................... spit the hook as it pulled out when he ran after swapping ends. I just stood on the transom in shock, after 1/2 gal of adrenalin had dumped into my system I couldn't move.. Leggs shakin, rod still held high, like he may come back..... I stood there for a minute.....
This fish was in control the whole 2 minutes we had him on. He went where he wanted, when he wanted, and never stopped, only to change direction and run again. What power

There are some real monsters in this lake, and it is time to move up to 12lb fluro leader... We will be needing it!

Thanks for the grate day on the pond Raz... It's trips like this that make me come back day after day.
Last edited by Reelax on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matt B
Committed (DA)
Species: Cold water

Post by Committed (DA) »

I am hooking up the boat now, and going after that big one....maybe a chartruse speedy shiner today....

Great read fellas, I agree, time to up the leaders the fish are PIGS

DA
When I grow up I want to be,
One of those harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
"I'll live and die a fisherman"
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

Wow great fish. Im still waiting for my pig of a salmon or any salmon. Way to go.
Will nolan "swilly"
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great report Raz and Matt, and beautiful pics.
You had an amazing day on the water, and I hope you get many more.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Phantom (griz)
Species: all

Post by Phantom (griz) »

Raz, I see you have the Reelax technique for posing the fish.lol Nice job guys
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

There sure was a derby! 3 days of some of the most fun I have had on Champlain... ...and that is saying a lot.

It was great having a stern row seat while Matt was fighting that fish The yells and screams were awesome.

Great to see you guys out there.
mac
Species: Salmon, Trout and Bass

Post by mac »

We noticed Reelax was cranking like a mad man to keep up with the fish then we heard the "Ooooohhhhhhhhh" from 200yds away .... Sorry for your loss...
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

The big ones get that big for a reason. Isn't it amazing how you can boat a bunch of fish and then you get ahold of one that rattles your cage. You never know. That's why I love the sport. Great looking keepers. Fred
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

Nice read Gerry and Matt! Sounds like you had a great day of FISHING. Remember it is better to have had one on and lost than to not have one on at all. You got the memory and the story. Thanks for sharing and also for the knowledge that that fish is still out there to be hooked again! Hope to get out this coming weekend.
FishTherapy
Species: salmon

Post by FishTherapy »

i was trolling right next to you when that happened and about 5 minuted after you all lost that one my dad hooked into a line ripper... line broke at the boat :( we both say it was over 30 inches too.
DeepSpruce
Species: LT, LLS, BT, ST, RT

Post by DeepSpruce »

http://movieclips.com/sqt7-moby-dick-mo ... .83/132.96

Raz...Reelax: Thanks for the great post and especially for the vivid rendition of the monster that got away!!