open water

Share info on fishing Champlain.
mudchuck
Species: perch

open water

Post by mudchuck »

Ok folks,
I was out & about Friday & Saturday and this is what I saw (sorry my phone battery died so no pics)

Friday took my youngest & his buddy out to Allen Point on the South Hero bike causeway after work and it is more iced out on the westward side that the outer Mallet's side, current runny strong and very muddy with lots of ice still breking uo. No lakers or salmon, in fact no fish biting (kids ran floats and bottom bounced, no perch or anything). Ice is breaking up real good on the main lake side, outer bay will be a little longer.

Saturday went fishing after cleaning the garage and stowing the ice fishing gear plus a couple honeydews.
Started at the sandbar access ditch and caught a few small yellows. Still a fair amount of ice there.
Moved onto the keelers bay ditch which the swamp is iced out but the bay isn't. Nothing there but a dead coyote. No fish biting.
Ventured up to the fish hatchery brook, nothing in the holding pond, nothing staging at the brook mouth.
Entire lake is open water NY to VT and Vantines is open, so you guys that drown spoons on downriggers can probably start trolling there.
the whole area from Cumberland Bay over to West Shore Road on the VT side is open.
With the upper 70's forecasted and this rain tonight we might have decent water that'll be ice free very soon.
TIGHT LINES TO ALL!
mudchuck
Species: perch

Re: open water

Post by mudchuck »

Oh yeah, saw a little bat flying around the keelers ditch at 3PM, not sure why it was out so early but it didn't appear to be sick or anything.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the report. Lake will be ready very soon, but boat still stuck in 2 foot snow around the garage... Not much to do but wait.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

Port Henry is open and launchable,although there is still large areas of ice floating around with the wind. the launch on the VT. side under the bridge is open but there is limited open water there too....as of 4/14/14
Santiago
Species: salmonoids

Post by Santiago »

Thanks for the report. Last Thursday I moved Santiago from the backyard to the driveway and spent the day assembling all the goodies. Any news for Converse or Town Farm Bay?
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

Thanks for the report...it's coming! Just a reminder to all that there is (and probably will be for awhile yet) a LOT of junk in the water. If you're going to go out early, keep a sharp lookout for debris.
bhf76
Species: salmon

Post by bhf76 »

I went to check out Converse launch on sunday 4/13/14. They installed a new dock which consisted on a newly poored concrete slab that they attached the dock to. What they didn't do was secure the other end of the dock to keep it from moving and ice pushed the dock to the side so much that it broke the dock right of of the newly poured pad. The concrete pad is broken as well so it is going to have to be redone. Why they didn't drive posts in and secure the end of the dock to the posts is beyond me. I'll try and post the pics I took of it later, but the bay is still full of ice. If they fix the dock, I think the bay may be free of ice within the next week or so.