White perch through the ice mashup

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Matt
Species: Any

White perch through the ice mashup

Post by Matt »

My buddy put a little video together of some footage of our last weekend on the ice. About 750 lbs of white perch later.....and here it is! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Hx_y1 ... r73mBByZTw
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: White perch through the ice mashup

Post by Reelax »

Great Video Matt... Nice haul!
Matt B
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

Wow! Fantastic vids...thank you for sharing!!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Good stuff Matt, Thanks.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
ATLSALMON
Species: Saltwater & trout & salmon

Post by ATLSALMON »

YOU PUT A HURTING ON THEM PERCH NEED TO ALL PUT A HURTIN ON THEM GREAT JOB MATT
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

You really hammered those white fish. Great entertaining video.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

Hmmm, that looks familiar
You friends cashed in that load of fished right as I was leaving the store.
I'm hoping to get my canoe in the water up there in the next few weeks as I think those whites will hang there until after the water really heats up in the bay.
I've caught whites at Black Bridge & Mill River while crappie fishing, so when the water temp gets to about 45F, the whites follow the panfish into those tribs and eat up there eggs while the panfish are spawning.
They also follow the walleyes up into Lamoille & Mississquoi and do the same with their eggs...I would not be shock to see them run up to the fish hatchery brook near the ferry and do the same on the trout...
Matt, look forward to seeing you on the river banks of the Winooski soon.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

mudchuck wrote:Hmmm, that looks familiar
You friends cashed in that load of fished right as I was leaving the store.
I'm hoping to get my canoe in the water up there in the next few weeks as I think those whites will hang there until after the water really heats up in the bay.
I've caught whites at Black Bridge & Mill River while crappie fishing, so when the water temp gets to about 45F, the whites follow the panfish into those tribs and eat up there eggs while the panfish are spawning.
They also follow the walleyes up into Lamoille & Mississquoi and do the same with their eggs...I would not be shock to see them run up to the fish hatchery brook near the ferry and do the same on the trout...
Matt, look forward to seeing you on the river banks of the Winooski soon.
It appears as if the whites are "booming" because they are fairly new to this region of the Lake. Back when they first came in, or first made their way into sections of the Lake, the populations would skyrocket. I think this is what we're seeing in St Albans, and am told the population will decrease in a few years. We heard that people panfishing at Black Bridge all of a sudden got bombarded with white perch instead of panfish. Seems like they pushed them right out of the way. I'm sure Mississquuoi and Otter will have their fare share of white perch still, but Lamoille and Winooski will probably see less of them, which is good for the walleye. As for trout - I don't think they're stupid enough to try to eat salmon eggs. Before and even after the hen drops the eggs, the male will guard it and her until she leaves shortly after. I've watched them bash into eachother almost full speed, trying to take bites out of the other as they go. Would be funny to see a white perch get bullied like that though. I'll be on the Winooski shortly...my girlfriends father is fixing up a little aluminum boat which he will be docking at a friends right above the railroad bridge for easy access. Hoping to get into some walleye this year. Wouldn't mind running into a school of whites though. First it's trout and salmon though!
tiny

Post by tiny »

Nice video! It was fun fishing up there with you.