Pike and Bass Malletts Bay

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
Champlainbaits
Species: Bass - Pike - Bowfin

Pike and Bass Malletts Bay

Post by Champlainbaits »

Fished this weekend with the boys and we all got into fish. I couldn't take pics of all because I was trying to manage 3 boys 9 and under and myself in 2 kayaks...if that makes any sense...so we got Pike and Bass and here are some photos we did end up getting:

Here's a bass that my middle son got all by himself while trolling.

and here's a pike I got all by myself :)

I'm sure most of you guys can guess what we got them on.
For some people it's "one more drink" or "one more bet" for me the lie is "just one more cast" :)
JK47
Species: All Species

Re: Pike and Bass Malletts Bay

Post by JK47 »

Nice fish pics. Always nice when the kids can get involved.

Great day too
vtbass
Species: Bass, Northern Pike, Muskie

Post by vtbass »

Nice pike! I couldn't get anything going on a spinnerbait, myself yesterday. Glad to see they were working for someone!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

You got the Pike all by yourself...you sure??? ;)

Great job to you and the crew...the boys are fishin' super-stars!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
lungelarry
Species: bass.musky

Post by lungelarry »

Gotta love kids with fish pics,their smiles are worth a thousand words...............
" Never Let'em See You Smile"
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

NICE pike! I may try to get out this weekend or something to throw a few big lures around the docks to see what I can manage...I haven't gotten my Master Angler Pike yet...:)
Champlainbaits
Species: Bass - Pike - Bowfin

Post by Champlainbaits »

Hey Matt...thanks....I've really been into the pike for about 3 weeks. I've missed master angler by an inch or two 3 times in that time so I'm feeling confident that I'm going to get one but you never know. What's really killing me is that I don't have a MA largemouth yet. I'm feeling pretty pathetic to be honest because before I moved to VT I would have at least a handful of 20"+ inch largemouth every year and usually at least one a year over 6lbs but I'm so distracted with the smallmouth and the pike up here that I barely ever target the largemouth. I need to get on it though as the season for bass is quickly coming to an end.

I wanted to get SM, LM, Rock, Pike and Bowfin with potential alts being eel perch or bullhead. I'll be ice fishing a lot more this year but like I said...that doesn't help me with the Largemouth so I better get to work.

If you are out and looking for pike I've been getting them over old weedbeds in 5 to 15 feet with gold or chartreuse/white spinnerbaits. I use spinnerbaits a) because they work and b) one hook is a lot easier to remove from big toothy critters than all those treble hooks on other baits. That said I would think if you really wanted to hook up that a clown pattern husky jerk (biggest they make) would get you a ton of action. I've sped up my retrieve and haven't been letting the bait sink like I was doing all summer long. I've been fishing Malletts Bay exclusively since August and the fishing has just been stupid good for as long as I can remember. We're really spoiled having Champlain as our fishery.

Good luck and I can't wait to see those pictures of your master angler entry.
For some people it's "one more drink" or "one more bet" for me the lie is "just one more cast" :)
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Champlainbaits wrote:Hey Matt...thanks....I've really been into the pike for about 3 weeks. I've missed master angler by an inch or two 3 times in that time so I'm feeling confident that I'm going to get one but you never know. What's really killing me is that I don't have a MA largemouth yet. I'm feeling pretty pathetic to be honest because before I moved to VT I would have at least a handful of 20"+ inch largemouth every year and usually at least one a year over 6lbs but I'm so distracted with the smallmouth and the pike up here that I barely ever target the largemouth. I need to get on it though as the season for bass is quickly coming to an end.

I wanted to get SM, LM, Rock, Pike and Bowfin with potential alts being eel perch or bullhead. I'll be ice fishing a lot more this year but like I said...that doesn't help me with the Largemouth so I better get to work.

If you are out and looking for pike I've been getting them over old weedbeds in 5 to 15 feet with gold or chartreuse/white spinnerbaits. I use spinnerbaits a) because they work and b) one hook is a lot easier to remove from big toothy critters than all those treble hooks on other baits. That said I would think if you really wanted to hook up that a clown pattern husky jerk (biggest they make) would get you a ton of action. I've sped up my retrieve and haven't been letting the bait sink like I was doing all summer long. I've been fishing Malletts Bay exclusively since August and the fishing has just been stupid good for as long as I can remember. We're really spoiled having Champlain as our fishery.

Good luck and I can't wait to see those pictures of your master angler entry.
Thanks! If the rivers blown this weekend I might take a quick trip out to Mallets Bay for a few fish. I'll be limited to around the docks, but I think I'll be able to hook up. I've got a few spinnerbaits in the box, and a huge size 5 Vibrax in chartreuse that landed me quite a few big Pike last year. I'll let ya know if I go down and how I do.