Salmon fishing still great

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
bigfish
Species: salmon

Salmon fishing still great

Post by bigfish »

It's not time to put the boats away just yet!!! Things here on the eastern end of Lake Ontario just seem to be gettin good. It's rare that this time of year I find myself fishing in 160-200 fow . But it does happen and is happening right now. Plenty of mature kings are being caught in the deeper water on the east end of the lake. With cooler temps being found 120 feet down the kings are still there as are the big cohos.
Normally we are fishing in shallower water. But this is one of those years the fishing has remained strong. It's not to late to make the trip for a fall salmon trip.
Normal stuff is working. With a heavy preference toward cut bait. We custom cut all our bait . You won't find on ever boat out there and it has been one of our number one producers. The kings just simply can't refuse it. Having the added bonus of sent this time of year can be the difference between a good day and a really good day.
There are a few steelhead around mixed in with the kings and coho's. anything red is working good for both species right now.

Their are salmon moving into the big river daily. It's been an on and off sorta run this year. It gets good for a day then might cool off in that area as the salmon are moving constantly right now. The salmon river has had fish for the past 6 weeks. Other areas are starting to heat up to. The little salmon has quite a few salmon up to the 104b bridge near the marina and the black river in dexter has quite a few. Night fishing in these areas has been very productive.

It's not to late. Plenty of kings to be caught. If you missed it earlier in the season like many folks did. Now is the time.
Tight lines
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Salmon fishing still great

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the info. Always good to hear when fish is active.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

Glad to hear someone is doing well. We were blown off the lake this past weekend. We have been fishing out of Mexico Bay and haven't had much luck since August with the flashers and flies. Just curious - what do you use for cut bait and how do you rig it ? Behind a Davis rig ? Flashers ? off a large spoon ? THANKS ! Jack
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

I may have to postpone putting the boat up! The weekend weather is not looking very promising though. Thanks for the info Bigfish.
See you on the pond!
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Bigfish thanks for the info. You had me looking at this weekends winds looks a little too much for my setup
JTM203SOUTH wrote:Glad to hear someone is doing well. We were blown off the lake this past weekend. We have been fishing out of Mexico Bay and haven't had much luck since August with the flashers and flies. Just curious - what do you use for cut bait and how do you rig it ? Behind a Davis rig ? Flashers ? off a large spoon ? THANKS ! Jack
I did real well this August running a Brads Cut Bait Plug behind an 11" paddle loaded with either Erie Derie or FamiliarBite cut bait.Fat Nancys and All seasons had both products.
Scott
So many Lures So little Time
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

THANKS FOR THE INFO, SCOTT. WE'LL GIVE IT A TRY. JACK
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"