Share info on fishing Champlain.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Toxic algae found in Missisquoi Bay

Post by Reelax »

Burlington Free Press Article;

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/arti ... eststories

An unusually high concentration of potentially toxic blue-green algae was identified this week on the southwest shore of Missisquoi Bay, scientists reported Thursday.

The near-shore sample from Highgate Springs contained more than 940,000 potentially toxic cells per milliliter of water as well as a high concentration of microcystin, the toxin released by the algae.
"We have not seen concentrations at this level since 2004," said Mary Watzin, the University of Vermont scientist who leads the blue-green algae monitoring program on Lake Champlain.
"This level is quite concerning," she added in an email response to an inquiry from the Free Press.

She noted that blooms of the potentially toxic algae thrive in hot weather but are transient, often being dispersed by winds.
"A change in weather right now would be really helpful. I'm hoping the cold front coming through will help bring this algae season to a close," she wrote in her weekly report.
The recreation season on the lake has nearly ended, with the exception of duck hunting.

"Since duck hunting season is beginning, it would be wise to remind duck hunters to keep their dogs out of the water if they see any visible algae in the water," she wrote.
Two dogs died after ingesting large amounts of algae from the lake a decade ago. Dogs are susceptible because they drink lake water, and because they may lick algae from their coats after swimming.
Watzin said monitors observed patchy clumps of blue-green algae through Missisquoi Bay, as well as receiving reports of large algae blooms in the Inland Sea area of the lake. Concentrations of toxins in most of those samples were well below alert levels.
"Anyone on the lake should continue to watch for dense accumulations of algae and avoid these areas," her report concluded.

Blue-green algae sometimes collect in near-shore scums that look like a sheen of neon green paint on the water.
Contact Candace Page at 660-1865
Matt B
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Toxic algae found in Missisquoi Bay

Post by raz »

Reelax wrote:Burlington Free Press Article;

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/arti ... eststories
The recreation season on the lake has nearly ended, with the exception of duck hunting
and Frost-bite fishing!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I guess Fall fishing isn't considered a recreation sport by the experts. I'm not surprised by a huge algae bloom. In the Spring I saw the flood waters surround a large manure pile for about 2 weeks. I can't imagine how many farm fields were flooded that had either Fall or Winter spreading that hadn't leached into the soil. Also, fertilizers and other compounds that would feed a bloom. Highgate Springs always gets it bad, but usually it's in August. The winds this weekend should break it up and hopefully send it back on land. It doesn't seem to affect the fish in Missisquoi Bay.
kbm
Species: rainbow carp!

Post by kbm »

Fished there yesterday. The south wind pushed the algae up to the east branch of the river. I didn't go out into the bay because of the wind. The algae has been bad since Aug.

BTW...yesterday I reached my personal best with a 5lb 15oz large mouth. In fact, out of the 16 bass I caught, one was over five, 4 were over four lbs; 8 were over 3lbs 8 oz.

I felt like a pro for a day!!!
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

congrats kbm. No pics? Sounds like a bass day that the pros would love.
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

kbm...you were a PRO!!!
Keep it up!!! Nice!

Would love to read a detailed report in the Bass Reports section!!!
Gerry
kbm
Species: rainbow carp!

Post by kbm »

Raz...

I posted up a picture on the bass page. Being alone made it tough for a good picture. I wanted to get that bass back in the water asap.
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Nice job!
Gerry
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

I saw the local news report on this. Always up north where the water is shallow and warm ... too bad. Don't know that pollution control is in our reach, but worth putting an effort forth!
Champlain Angler
Species: Any and all fish

Post by Champlain Angler »

I saw and smelled examples of what I believe to be the same (blue green algae) on the east shore of the Alburgh Pass, south of the bridge from North Hero to the Alburgh Tongue, right in front of the Irving gas station. Also saw it in the southeastern most corner of Dillenbeck Bay in the Pass. Nasty stuff. Lots of pea soup like algae of another type throughout the pass that suspends when the wind blows. It seems to float to the surface and builds up on one side or the other when winds are light. Im not a biologist, but from an angler's point of view it doesn't seem to bother warm-water species in the short term. Sadly, spring and fall floods, with lots of runoff from agricultural plains, flooded septic systems, and even sewer spills have added to a previously high phospherous situation. It's been a tough year for Lake Champlain.

Captain Mick
www.LakeChamplainAngler.com