smally fishing

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
bottomfeeder
Species: bass

smally fishing

Post by bottomfeeder »

Will be leaving Friday for Swanton to do some Smallmouth fishing hope to have a report when done. Hoping to fish 8 days from St Albains to Rouses point.
We usually do well this time of year and hope this year will be productive. Have been fishing there sense 1995 most years are good some not so.
bottomfeeder

Re: smally fishing

Post by bottomfeeder »

Our trip has come and gone for this year hopefully I can make another soon. Anyways we arrived last Friday and were able to fish 5-1/2 hours.
We boated 20-25 Smallmouth up to 18" at cliffs just outside the RT 78 bridge in Swanton most fish took 3-4" paddle tail swim baits.
Saturday was a bust on the way out broke the engine hit something just under the water and the engine wouldn't run right afterwards. Got towed back in.
It wasn't looking good couldn't figure out what was wrong and two boat places nearby weren't any help. I was ready to replace this boat or engine and buy a new one.
Waiting three weeks for them to prep and install wasn't going to work for me. So after a very disappointing day trying to buy something I found a boat repair shop.
This guy is awesome when no one else could help he offered to fix it and I could pick it up Sunday at 1pm.
Kenny's Boat Repair in Alburg Rt 2
By Sunday afternoon we were back on the water and caught a few more bass mostly Largemouth inside the rt 78 bridge in the bay.
The rest of the week was a game of trying to find a place that the wind couldn't beat us up.
Fished St Albains two days and caught a lot of Largemouths some up to 18" the bait of choice were Cicadas and Rapalas. The Rapalas we fished as a jerk bait and the fish responded well.
My friend caught a 28" Walleye right in front of the RT 36 bridge.
The best lure for us was the Cicada and the Rapala in silver and black 3" and the plastic paddle tail swim bait. We also caught fish on 3-4" curly tail grubs in smoke with silver fleck and water mellon also plenty of one fish lure choices that never produced afterwards.
Fishing 6 feet of water was the most productive all week some from a little deeper and some from shallower.
Overall the trip wasn't one of our best in terms of bass caught or size but we had enough tugs on the line to keep us interested.
So throughout the week I managed to damage my boat, engine and bend the trolling motor shaft. Two other guys in our group destroyed props.
The water is low be careful.
diamondsteel
Species: all

Post by diamondsteel »

Thanks for the post! seven days of bass fishing! cant really beat it even if you didn't catch any pigs. Glad the boat was repaired and back in action for the rest of your trip.
bottomfeeder

Post by bottomfeeder »

yeah me too almost loaded up for home second day. it was going to cost $100 a day to rent a boat.