Bullwagga Bay

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Bullwagga Bay

Post by Crazy Ivan »

So if you are searching for Salmon and Brown Trout this time of year this is one of Lake Champlains premiere hot spots.... lt always has been. Last year my boat put over 400 salmon and browns in the net in this bay. One beauty salmon over 8.5 lbs and a monster brown that weighted in over 7.75lbs bot in the same day. Everyday is a double diget salmon day. Last week Pat and i boated 31 in under 4 hours, 2 5lb + and quite a few bigger 4lbers. Yesterday every fish i caught in the 3 hours i was there was over 20in and 3.5 and up. I had a monster right up to the back of the boat and broke him off.
where is the bay????? well let me point the way
West of the Crown Point Bridge, no close launch on the Vermont side so you need tio drive over to port henery and launch there.... If you need directions just call me. this launch is less than 5 minutes from the hottest salmon spot on the lake.

Now once you get there it gets alittle tricky. I highly suggest a good gps with nav chart.... There are many bad things in the bay, those hazard markers are there for a reason!!!! Be smart do not troll over them.... I watched a boat hung up on them for 45 minutes on Wednesday. If you are the type of angler that is just looking to get your two salmon and go home then just have at it.... But the 50+ 70+ salmon day runs have a trend to them..... They do not shut off at ten, they get spooked and move out and in like the wind. You just need to change up your game alittle.

So here is run...
Notice the light area.... This is the deeper water that holds the majority of the bait and salmon.... If you want to catch the stragglers, then wonder all over. The pencil is pointed at the sweet spot.... over 200 fish right there this year aloan.
Here it the bigger photo of the run...
If you look closely there are tacks in the photo..... those are areas that ever time you pass over them.....WHAM! Fish on.
Now the whole light arae is wher i fish, I dont often bother with the shallower water.... there is not as much bait and i am looking for big numbers of salmon not just one or two.

On the water with rods down by 530....Do you really want to get there behind 30 other boat all trying to fish that little narrow area around the point (which is sandy and holds monster browns and salmon all day).
I start out with 1.5 or two colors of lead, a mini dipsi 90 feet back and riggers set at 6-8ft down 68 feet to 115 feet back.
Now if you dont have gold backed spoons with some white in them i do suggest it.... Noisy Boy, white russian and happy hooker have been on fire.... Sikler and chartrouse speedys are great also.... Sausage Gravy Milkshake and fat Ivans... all good.
I dont use sticks or plainer boards.... I dont need them. But just about everyone else does.
Keep working that narrow point area...... back and forth.... You will be into them big! It may take a coupkle couple of passes to dial them in but you should have a 30 fish morning here.
As the crowds show up run allittle deeper, 12-14 feet down 117 on the dispsi and 2 or 2.5 color of lead... fish closer to the deepest part of the channel.... just work that are back and forth... If you dont have board you can make tighter turns and more passes.... which mean more fish...... also the south winds bring weeds out from the swamp, check your lines often.... i pull them and look every turn in a south wind. As teh day gos on.... start loking at some white backed spoons, white and red mossy, rainbow needle fish, frostbite orange..ect
In a north wind the numbers 6 thru 10 are hot with ten being the honey hole, there is an old cement piling on the bottom that comes up like 8 ft off the bottom... (30 feet deep here)the bait stacks up around this and it can be killer.... all rods firing at the same time.
Not sure of what to do give me a call... i will help you out.
Last edited by Crazy Ivan on Thu May 09, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Todd
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Re: Bullwagga Bay

Post by riddlervt »

That is an awesome detailed description! Thanks for sharing.
Ridds
MWM
Species: Salmon

Post by MWM »

Fished that spot 4/29, with the alewife dieoff (at least thats what im blaming it on) we didn't fair to well. I'll have to hit it up again with your suggested spoon colors. Thanks for sharing!
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Wish the boat was closer great report Todd
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

MWM wrote:Fished that spot 4/29, with the alewife dieoff (at least thats what im blaming it on) we didn't fair to well. I'll have to hit it up again with your suggested spoon colors. Thanks for sharing!
The alewife die off slowed it down for sure we were only doing 20for 6 to 8 hours of trolling .... About half what we normally do in that a,punt of time there.
The Dyp Saturday was just crawling with half dead alwifes and we only landed 15 or so, but it has picked right up....
Todd
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Stop by Norms Bait and tackle, he will point you to his favorite lures and give you the day by day tips and reports.... Call him from your boat on the radio... stormin Normin
T
Todd
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

So much to tell about this are....
If you are traveling from far away.... Norm has a great cabin that he will rent you.... It was bran new last year. Just give him a call
Todd
Todd
lundfisherman64
Species: salmon,trout

Post by lundfisherman64 »

Never went fishing that far south but you light up my curiosity for sure. Very detailled and interresting report, thanks for sharing. Look like a risky place to fish the first time... :? :?
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Looks like the Wizard just gave up the Holy Grail! Outstanding contribution, Todd, very generous.
Kamel
Species: Those With Fins

Post by Kamel »

Somebody check that man's temperature.......
Image Image The Canned One Image
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

All good info Todd.. Man its a long way to go, but sounds interesting!

(20+ mile boat ride south outta converse..)
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Todd for sharing some of your secret spots.
Never been in that part of the lake, but there's always a first.

Very detailed map information and pointers.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
FATHEAD
Species: salmon

Post by FATHEAD »

I am betting there will be at least 50 boats there Saturday lol.
Lavman
Species: Equal opportunity catcher :D

Post by Lavman »

Hey now, April Fools was LAST month LOL!!!
highliner
Species: salmon

Post by highliner »

we have been on these fish for 2 weeks now