Whestport - 3/26

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Whestport - 3/26

Post by ChessieMan »

Tuesday morning found me and Scott once again n at the Westport launch. It was cool, but the sun which had just snuck over the horizon promised a warm day and the lake was like a mirror.

We slowly motored north rigging new gear - I went retro with a new level wide full of lead-core and changed things-up with a slide diver replacing one of the dipsys - all running longer lightweight leaders.

Went "lines down" in front of Split Rock at 8 and started to troll west - and we trolled and trolled and trolled some more, enjoying the warmth and scenery - the rocks were ice clad and debris littered the shores - must have been one heck of a night on the lake during the storm.

Finally, after our 3rd loop around Whalon's , an empathetic salmon whacked a DB smelt and immediately went aerial - this fish was an Olympic leaper. Scott was going - "WoW! look at 'em" and I was going - "Wow! don't lose 'em" - in the end we slide the net under a fat 19"er bound for the BBQ.

Another hour of adrenaline fueled trolling yielded nary a nibble, so off we went in search of fish - stopped just south of Thompson's and were tight to a good fish in minutes - turned out to be a 28" LT which was heading to the smoker - only problem I forgot to tell Scott of my plans and as I turned to lift the live well cover, I saw him slipping the fish into the water - "Whaaaa.....#@$%^&" - Oh well, guess we'll just have too catch another.

But 1st - lunch - "and what do we have today?" - well for an appetizer - some Parma ham with chunks of Parmigiano Reggiano, followed by crab cakes on toasted ciabatta - how could I be moaning about a tossed fish when being feed like that?!

After another fishless hour, we headed over to Hunter where the "fish" gods smiled won on us with this beautiful LT

- which did make it to the smoker. And then it was time to head for the barn - did the new, shy gear work - Nope - all fish were off a DR on either a Speedi or CI - maybe next week.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Whestport - 3/26

Post by Reelax »

What a great report and story. As always I felt like I was at the wheel with you guys and looking back as the action happens. Check your messages Ed. I’m Coming south to troll Monday and there is an invite in your reader:)

Maybe we can corner a few salmon this coming week… will see
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Whestport - 3/26

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great report Ed. Not many bites but much better than staying home.
Looks like the sea was pretty calm, must have been a very enjoyable time on the water and a nice lunch.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)