Saturday in the northern fleet

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Saturday in the northern fleet

Post by Reelax »

Had to good fortune to be invited in Esad’s newly setup trolling platform. He has a Blue Smokercraft that he has been rigging up over the last year. sonar, gps map, auto pilot, troll control, otter boards were all used and all worked great today:) we launched as 2nd boat on lake at 1st light and seems almost all boats met up in a spot to begin the hunt.

We set long lines with split shot and lead core off the otter boards and broke free from the pack to search open water on our own. Within and hr other boats started sliding over to where we were. Morning bite was slow and we worked hard to land the 1st fish around 830am… small sticks worked best but honorable mentions goes to an orange and grey mooslook that musta taken over 6 salmon itself.

Water temps were 36-39 and the best bite was in the warmest water. As the fleet started to dissipate in Late morning we got a better bite going and had double on at one point. The bite seemed more localized that usually on This common run…

We had hot dogs for breakfast and ribeye steaks for lunch! Esad’s grill setup worked great and the meals kept us going into the afternoon. We were having such a blast 3pm came and went without us even noticing. With no boats left and the livewell filled with a limit, we called it and headed back to the barn…

Counter was pushed above double didgets just after noon. With some sunny days the bite is gonna be great this spring!! The signs are all looking good.

NO lamprey on the inland sea so far:)

Thanks Esad
Fish on!
Attachments
IMG_8475.jpeg
IMG_8475.jpeg (206.51 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_8474.jpeg
IMG_8474.jpeg (195.4 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_8483.jpeg
IMG_8483.jpeg (180.1 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_8488.jpeg
IMG_8488.jpeg (154.77 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_8491.jpeg
IMG_8491.jpeg (227.79 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_8502.jpeg
IMG_8502.jpeg (176.89 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_8509.jpeg
IMG_8509.jpeg (243.8 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_8532.jpeg
IMG_8532.jpeg (260.14 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_8543.jpeg
IMG_8543.jpeg (179.3 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_8536.jpeg
IMG_8536.jpeg (275.36 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_8558.jpeg
IMG_8558.jpeg (210.18 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_4212.jpeg
IMG_4212.jpeg (179.17 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
IMG_4215.jpeg
IMG_4215.jpeg (207.96 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Matt B
striper192001
Species: salmon

Re: Saturday in the northern fleet

Post by striper192001 »

Nice job guys............appreciate the report
Holy Cow ...........awesome job jamming that many screens onto that dash !! How did you mount that tablet ? Is there any recommendation from any of you guys on which tablet to buy ??
John
SELIC

Post by SELIC »

Thanks for great time, thank you for teaching me many useful things for fishing. I can't wait for the next fishing trip with you.
Esad
Mistress
Species: cold water

Post by Mistress »

That is an AWESOME fishing machine you put together Esad and it paid off based on your pics.I was with you all in spirit as I was busting down beaver dams yesterday :evil:
Look forward to seeing you on the troll!
Pat
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice fishing vessel Esad. It pays off to have the right equipment and specially a great fishing crew.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
SELIC

Post by SELIC »

Hi John,
I use ipad mini 2 and Magnetic Phone Mount
see pictures.
Esad
IMG_4241.jpeg
IMG_4241.jpeg (102.89 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
IMG_4242.jpeg
IMG_4242.jpeg (115.19 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
IMG_4236.png
IMG_4236.png (136.53 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Great looking setup, Esad! You did a nice job.

Along with John’s question, what would folks recommend for a mount if I don’t have a glass windshield? My plastic windshield wouldn’t hold up to that. I’d like to find a good mount that I can screw down.

Congrats and thanks in advance!
SELIC

Post by SELIC »

Can something like this help you,
there are different types.
Esad
Attachments
IMG_4248.png
IMG_4248.png (148.5 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Yeah, I'll have to find something like that for an iPad. I've seen them with rubber clamps ... I think that would work. I'm planning on revamping my electronics this year. I've got a nice fishfinder that has been relegated to GPS/mapping duties and am using an old crappy fishfinder as the actual ff. My plan is to setup an iPad with Navionics for mapping and put the better ff to good use. This would be a heck of a lot cheaper to setup than getting a whole new fishfinder! Refurbished iPads run around $150, from what I've seen.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Crayfish wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:36 am Yeah, I'll have to find something like that for an iPad. I've seen them with rubber clamps ... I think that would work. I'm planning on revamping my electronics this year. I've got a nice fishfinder that has been relegated to GPS/mapping duties and am using an old crappy fishfinder as the actual ff. My plan is to setup an iPad with Navionics for mapping and put the better ff to good use. This would be a heck of a lot cheaper to setup than getting a whole new fishfinder! Refurbished iPads run around $150, from what I've seen.
I agree 100% Shawn.. Just realize, it is a yearly subscription to get map updates. (Can still use base map in navionics if your subscription runs out.) The benefits of the subscription are amazing, and you will feel like your fishing with your pants down once your subscription laps... lol.

Make sure you get an ipad with GPS capabilities... Best part is you dont need a phone signal to run it once you download the map.... I bought my ipad mini 2 off ebay 5 years ago, still works great. you can get a screen protector that will ensure screen is bright with polarized glasses. In some cases tablet screens images disappear while wearing polarized glasses....

Good luck!
Matt B
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Right, good point on the polarized glass issue! I hate that with the fishfinders! Thanks for the info.
DrCaddis
Species: Salmonids

Post by DrCaddis »

Fantastic and great pictures. I’ll finally get there mid April because my wife is at a quilt retreat in vergennes. I’m so pumped and your posts get me even more excited. That boat look fantastic too. I love the lure rack. If you have plans on how to make it or even just some pictures I’d love to try it on my boat “the admiral “. Red starweld. Hopefully I’ll see you guys on the water in April.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Amazon tablets 9" start around $50. Light and not as heavy as an I-pad. I use one for my GPS and another for my Smart Troll system. Never had an issue.
New with warranty!
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Hi Ron, which of the cheaper Amazon tablets have GPS? I only see it on the newest $150 ones. Most of them say "location based services via WiFi" or something like that.

Thanks

*** Sorry to hijack your thread, Matt and Esad! ***
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

My Samsung had GPS capability it was around $125 4 years ago. I bought the Amazon tablet for $50 last August for my Smart Troll. Didn't need GPS for that. So maybe it doesn't have GPS capability?