Lamprey Pictures?

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
TUnamas

Lamprey Pictures?

Post by TUnamas »

If anyone has 2024 pictures of salmon with multiple lamprey hits (or multiple lamprey still attached) please post them or send them to me and let me know approximately where it was taken. Fish and wildlife says these 6-7 lamprey are first year fish and they are trying to determine which river they are coming from.
TUnamas

Re: Lamprey Pictures?

Post by TUnamas »

Correction: 6-7" lamprey: I've shared a few pictures with Shawn Good at VT F&W, and he suspects "Those could be Bouquet R. sea lamprey, or one of the smaller tribs along the Port Henry shoreline. As fast as we try to suppress them on our 4-year treatment cycle, they pop right back up somewhere else!"
fishfarmer
Species: Piscies

Post by fishfarmer »

I know Randy got a picture of a big one on a Laker along the NY shore. We foul hooked the lamprey and it was attached to a two foot laker... that was on interesting pull.

We picked up several small lampreys on salmon or it may have been on lakers in Whallon's bay the week before. They were all the 6 to 7 inch range.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Sunday March 3rd Fished Westport from Barn Rock & this was in the top of Hunter Bay

...Port side Planer board all of a sudden starts racing across the stern of the boat and we have a fish full of gas on.

Al starts reeling it in and the fish tail comes up and out of the water and it heads for the bottom. Then it starts the roll and is coming in sideways as if belly hooked . We get it to the back and there is a 20 inch lamprey on this fish and the Challenger plug has hooked the Lamprey and not the fish.

We net it and sure enough the Lamprey was foul hooked and dragged the laker to the boat. Well you know the end ... we cut off his head and released the laker and 2 lampreys!

First time I have seen a Lamprey hang on hard enough to drag a fish to the net. I have in the past hooked a lamprey on a streamer fly.

Earlier in the week landed a 17 inch salmon in Wallon that had 5 lampreys on it and we released 10!

Fish On!