1st trip advise

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

1st trip advise

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Headed to Lake Ontario in the next week or so.
Seeking information:
Places to stay
Best places to launch
Equipment…
Rods
Line weight
Best spoons, etc.
Fishing out of 20 foot Lund.
Thanks
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Re: 1st trip advise

Post by Crayfish »

I would peruse the Lake Ontario United pages to see what people are catching fish on currently. Watch the updates / videos from Yankee Troller, as well. It sounds like Digitroll has been out there recently, so he may be able to give you some current info. I'll be out there later this week, as well.

The color preferences seem to vary a little bit year to year, but one of my favorite rigs has always been a Mtn Dew Spin Doctor with some sort of A-Tom-Mik fly (the fly color changes weekly, it seems, but green glow hammer is usually a good one).

If fishing the east end, the Mexico state launch is really nice. Can also launch at the Selkirk State Park on the Salmon River.

Good luck!
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

Give me a call,way easier than trying to type everything out and go back and forth,315-369-5241.Jason
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Twenty plus years ago I used to fish out there every other weekend. Now, my boat and equipment is matched to Champlain. If anyone is looking for a mate for a few days to help share expenses I would love an opportunity to hear a king make a reel sing !
Have a relatively flexible schedule and consider myself low key. If anyone is looking for a mate......reach out
Thanks in advance !
John
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Did you make to Lake O, ThreeBouys? I got back Wednesday night and things were just starting to get good. We got blown off Fri, Sat, Sun and the temps were all messed up after that. 50deg was down 180' or so Sun afternoon with 5-6' waves! But by Wed morning we were catching fish in 120' or less off the plant in Mexico Bay. Then I had to leave. Ended up with 8 salmon (biggest 24#), 5 browns (biggest 7#) and a couple of lakers. Not too bad considering we didn't get to fish much. 2 of the salmon were on the first day and 3 on last ... not much in between.