Champlain delivers… again

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Red Barchetta
Species: Trout

Champlain delivers… again

Post by Red Barchetta »

First off, I must say, I’m envious and rather pleased to read all of the weekly reports from you all on how the salmon bite is; what to use, how deep, techniques, lures and sometimes even “where” they’re at. For us newbies to Champ, we content ourselves, following many unsuccessful attempts to catch these elusive “silvers”- to catch the abundant and rather lowly lakers- but we’ve grown to LOVE and appreciate them just the same.
We went 0 fish in 3 1/2 hours this day, trolling 30-50’ over 90-100’ at 2.6- 3 mph, with a combo of small flasher /flies(Magog Smelt) , flasher/ yozuri minnow (3”) , small spoons(2.5-3” - all colours) , but the precedent storm would shut us down this day, UNTIL, we found a grouping of fish on a spot that almost always holds em(lakers).
So we frantically changed tactics and started jigging for them. The change of approach paid off:
36 laker boated, on 45 hookups (great catch ratio this day!), with 5 fish over 30” with one fat 32” fish, and 26 other fish in the rather remarkable 27-29” class (wow!).
Only 6 fish between 23-26”(sic).
So glad I was able to salvage my reputation with first time fisherman and neighbor, after raving about Champ as I’ve done for 2 years.
Look forward to the day when our honed efforts yield more elusive silvers, but for the time being we continue to enjoy natures bounty of plentiful lake trout!
Last edited by Red Barchetta on Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red Barchetta

Re: Champlain delivers… again

Post by Red Barchetta »

First off, I must say, I’m envious and rather pleased to read all of the weekly reports from you all on how the salmon bite is; what to use, how deep, techniques, lures and sometimes even “where” they’re at. For us newbies to Champ, we content ourselves, following many unsuccessful attempts to catch these elusive “silvers”- to catch the abundant and rather lowly lakers- but we’ve grown to LOVE and appreciate them just the same.
We went 0 fish in 3 1/2 hours this day, trolling 30-50’ over 90-100’ at 2.6- 3 mph, with a combo of small flasher /flies(Magog Smelt) , flasher/ yozuri minnow (3”) , small spoons(2.5-3” - all colours) , but the precedent storm would shut us down this day, UNTIL, we found a grouping of fish on a spot that almost always holds em(lakers).
So we frantically changed tactics and started jigging for them. The change of approach paid off:
36 laker boated, on 45 hookups (great catch ratio this day!), with 5 fish over 30” with one fat 32” fish, and 26 other fish in the rather remarkable 27-29” class (wow!).
Only 6 fish between 23-26”(sic).
So glad I was able to salvage my reputation with first time fisherman and neighbor, after raving about Champ as I’ve done for 2 years.
Look forward to the day when our honed efforts yield more elusive silvers, but for the time being we continue to enjoy natures bounty of plentiful lake trout!
Attachments
IMG_5749.jpeg
IMG_5749.jpeg (136.87 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
IMG_5769.jpeg
IMG_5769.jpeg (141.72 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
IMG_5771.jpeg
IMG_5771.jpeg (150.05 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
IMG_5775.jpeg
IMG_5775.jpeg (164.46 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
IMG_5776.jpeg
IMG_5776.jpeg (131.91 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
IMG_5779.jpeg
IMG_5779.jpeg (142.31 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
image0000001.jpeg
image0000001.jpeg (161.79 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Last edited by Red Barchetta on Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Congrats! Those are beauties! Nothing wrong with salvaging a trip with that quality of “slimers”.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I can almost hear the Rush songs playing in the background while you guys reel in those hogs…

Thanks for sharing!
Matt B
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Reelax wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:21 pm I can almost hear the Rush songs playing in the background while you guys reel in those hogs…

Thanks for sharing!
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=IrxzRFj03Ro
Speedy
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Speedy »

Red,
Thanks for the report..36 Lakers..that's COOL!
I'm inland babysitting 12 Lakes that look like over-filled bowls of coco with a lot of debris, and STILL more rain.

Again, Congrats,
Tight Lines
Speedy
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report and pics. 36 lakers is a big number, kept you busy for a while.
Thanks for sharing.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Red Barchetta

Post by Red Barchetta »

Crayfish wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:41 pm Congrats! Those are beauties! Nothing wrong with salvaging a trip with that quality of “slimers”.
Hey thanks Crayfish! Those slimers are actualy quite tasty if you give them a try. I love to cook, do say 6 days a week for the family, and this recipe and others listed underneath in the link, received favorable comments by everyone who's tried it this way.
https://cafedelites.com/easy-salmon-piccata/
Give her a try and let's do our part to help control this abundant population. In time and with some luck, we may help the salmon #'s takeover the laker population!
Red Barchetta

Post by Red Barchetta »

TUnamas wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:03 pm
Reelax wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:21 pm I can almost hear the Rush songs playing in the background while you guys reel in those hogs…

Thanks for sharing!
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=IrxzRFj03Ro
LOL :D How'd you guess? ;)
Had Power Windows and Permanent Waves playing during throughout the smackdown!
Headed back out on Sunday and will give the silvers a try early AM till about 11am, and we're then hunting lakers till 4pm. Hopefully the lake has stabilized as we continued to receive a torrent of heavy rain up here in Montreal this week. Will report back on Monday! Good luck to all!!
Red Barchetta

Post by Red Barchetta »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:54 pm Nice report and pics. 36 lakers is a big number, kept you busy for a while.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Gerry! We had doubles and triples on that day, so yeah lots of fun!