Big Lakers of Colchester reef!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

Big Lakers of Colchester reef!

Post by Big Bear »

Had a fun afternoon trolling the reef with down riggers set at 44’ and 54’ in 80-120 FOW with slide cheaters on both. Missed 2 and caught 3 big lake trout, both on the slide cheaters so still trying to figure out why big lakers were so far up in the water column with surface temp 71-72 degrees. One was 6lbs one was 8lbs and one was a beast at almost 15 pounds and took me something like 30 minutes to reel him in. Needed to revive and release them all fast so no pics. And odd no salmon, even a started in outer bay where I was slamming them a little over a week ago, but nothing. Still a fun day. Hits on green, copper red head and crazy Ivan.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Re: Big Lakers of Colchester reef!

Post by Dilly Worm »

15 pounds is a lunker ! Funny it was suspended like that, must have been a surprise to feel something that big tugging on the line !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

Post by Big Bear »

Dilly Worm wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:54 pm 15 pounds is a lunker ! Funny it was suspended like that, must have been a surprise to feel something that big tugging on the line !
Yes since it hit the slide cheater, I had to reel a bunch to get it to the bottom of the line and then it was still there and I was very excited thinking it had to be a salmon because it would’ve been at like 21 or 22 feet. Then when it didn’t come up and kept pulling line I realized… not a salmon. And all 3 lakers that I caught were all suspended between 20-30’. Bait balls were huge when I found them, spanning 28-55’ sometimes in a single ball.
Mistress
Species: cold water

Post by Mistress »

I too caught a laker on a salmon set down 40’ 10 miles N of Colchester Reef in the last place I expected to catch one. Usually this time of year if you want one ya gotta dredge bottom. I think the lake is about to flip and temps are a factor.Maybe?????
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Post by Skylander »

Slamming salmon in the Outer Bay? Well done.
campskylandvt.com