Found the salmon today!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

Found the salmon today!

Post by Big Bear »

Made an unplanned decision to go fishing early and wow, did it pay off! Went 3 for 9. Tough being solo. Between the south wind, keeping 2 riggers and cheaters from getting tangled and trying to reel, net and drive the boat, well you get it. Had 2 that I missed at the boat, 1 that jumped and decided he really liked my lure and was gone. 3 that hit while I was working on the other rigger sorting out a tangle and then the last one was comical: Boat was stopped after I landed the 2nd salmon - who incidentally spit the hook at the boat but was luckily already in the net… So I am getting everything tidy and realize I never popped my line off the other cannonball, so I do that and reel it up. Right at the boat I can see both my cheater and my lure as well as a salmon following it and hits it right there and I catch that salmon for my third one! Had already caught my limit which is why I had stopped. So let this guy go as already had 1.5lb and 3.2lb in the livewell and he was 1.8lbs.

Crazy day. All outer bay in 60-85 FOW. Hits at 22-48’ and on pretty much any colors. Slide cheaters were hot as well as using a ball troll off the cannon ball with the line 4’ up from that and 8-10’ back. Most hits came early 6:30am-8am and for whatever reason, 10-11:15am. And no fishhawk!!!
Attachments
IMG_1219.jpeg
IMG_1219.jpeg (128.19 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Found the salmon today!

Post by Reelax »

Damn Erik! You got a solid bite;) and a good salmon pushin 4 lbs. I am fishin north of there but if the bite is not good I may slip under the bridge tomorrow and try some old spots…. Thanks for the report. Are you fishing tomorrow?

Matt
Matt B
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

Post by Big Bear »

Reelax wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:06 pm Damn Erik! You got a solid bite;) and a good salmon pushin 4 lbs. I am fishin north of there but if the bite is not good I may slip under the bridge tomorrow and try some old spots…. Thanks for the report. Are you fishing tomorrow?

Matt
I can’t this weekend which is why I went today. I’ll DM you.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice pair of salmons Erik. Great pic. thanks for sharing.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Good to see salmon coming out of the bay.
Nicely done!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Those are beauties! Congrats Erik!
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Love......to hear that there are salmon in the outer bay !! Thanks for the report !
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Hey Matt,

Can you still get under the bridge at Sandbar at this point ? If so, I may try outer bay and then could slip north to try....

John
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

striper192001 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:44 am Hey Matt,

Can you still get under the bridge at Sandbar at this point ? If so, I may try outer bay and then could slip north to try....

John
I can troll in 21” of water and can drag Reelax in 10” of water across shallows so yea, I can still get under. But at 95’ most boats have given up getting over the sandbar to the south.

Pretty soon it will be land locked between like last few summers:(
Matt B
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

We were camping this past weekend in Malletts Bay and decided to try the Outer Malletts Bay on Saturday between 5 am and when breakfast was served at camp. No boats at all anywhere around. Started in the narrow between the inner and outer bay around 80 fow. Decided to drop the ball to 50 ft. Had my son with me and we set our lures just above the vertical blades and at 40 ft with a cheater. Set out 2 dipsey divers set around 40 ft. Trolled around the corner toward the mouth of the Lamoille in about 80 fow and back a few times. No hits. Picked up lots of seaweed. Checked the lures often to remove the seaweed. Headed out to the middle more to reduce seaweed. At about 10 am when the waves built up to about 3 ft, my son got nervous and the wife called us in for breakfast, we reeled up. On one of the dipseys without releasing the dispey was a baby 8" salmon. He was still good and lively when we released it. So its confirmed they are in the Outer Malletts Bay and hopefully will be bigger next year.
FishPole Thinking
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Post by Skylander »

nice
campskylandvt.com
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Post by pfu »

You guys got me excited. Fished three times in outer bay with hits but nothing there. Went out this morning with my son and we hooked into a salmon on a monkey pike” in two minutes, jumped a few times, got to the boat for quick pic and back in the water. Nothing big (15-16”) but my first salmon in years. Nothing else to show and headed out on main lake. Four lakers and called it a day.

Will give outer bay another shot!

Over 85’ with lines at 25 and 40. Fish hit at 25’.