Converse 6/9

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Converse 6/9

Post by striper192001 »

Had the morning to fish and was in the water by 6:30 am

Not much to report. We trolled from Pickett to Thompsons, couple loops at Split Rock and then down the bank south of there. Went back to Garden for a bit . Went 5 for 5 on small lakers.

First time with my new Fish Hawk. Temp was same 55 degrees at surface down to 42 feet. Found small pods of bait and lots of more bait deeper with fish but figured those were lakers

Should I have fished deeper? Amazing to see difference between surface and at the ball. What speed at the ball do you target?
Full disclosure......I am not fishing LCI or any other derbies scheduled........

Thanks for all the help

John
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Converse 6/9

Post by Reelax »

55 deg all the way down can be a tough bite. I would have spoons in top 20fow and also another set just above where ever the bait is running. (Prob get lakers with this set) A long line way out back with surface temp at 55 can be a good set. No thermocline makes it a challenge to push salmon together. I usually Tgt 2.4 at ball on fishhawk and that is the only speed I watch. (GPS speed is just to reference for currents) Depending on spoons you’re running that can vary from 2.1 for light alum honeybees to 2.8 for heavy flashkings and speedy shiners , depenging on how they run in the water. Any spoon that spins will not catch salmon… you want a back and forth wobble and a flip every once in a while…

Hope this helps….

Good luck all LCI anglers.
Matt B
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

That's a big help Matt. We were going 2.8 +. 3 of the 5 fish came on sliders so were in upper column. In fact we caught two on one line.

Good luck in LCI guys........

John
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Great advice from Matt. The past 8 days it's been a persistent north wind which has driven surface temp. down to 55 ft up north. Fish the bait and above like Matt mentioned. 2.4 is a great place to start. Congrats on your Fish Hawk! Things will settle out now the south wind has begun and return to more normal conditions.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

We fished yesterday and the temps were still tough. Baits stayed mainly from 12 to 45' for most of the day. When we found bait we caught. No bait, no fish for us. Good luck, Matt