Be Safe, and Carry a Knife!

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
TUnamas

Be Safe, and Carry a Knife!

Post by TUnamas »

As some here know, I've been chasing tuna for a long time. My preference is YFT on fly, but I'll take them any way I can. My wife has the Bermuda YFT record (conventional, not fly) and she said it was worse than childbirth. But Saltwater is a dangerous game. Be safe. Here's a current reminder: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/search-con ... 35520.html
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Be Safe, and Carry a Knife!

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Hi Scott, your link does not work on my PC, can you check it.....
YES.... really fun chasing tuna.... but lots of work and sometimes (often) painful.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Try this one (it's an update as the angler is still missing): https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/01/search ... -huge-fish
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

This link is working.
So sad this tragedy happened.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

A knife on the hip and cable cutter plyers at the transom are a must have on Champlain Too!

I have had experiences on Champlain where not having them ready at hand would have changed the outcome of the day.

In Frostbiting bad things can happen fast.....Not the time to be an indecisive Squirrel :o
Fish On!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Great title Scott.
And an even better lesson.
Thank you!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Surprise wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:44 pm A knife on the hip and cable cutter plyers at the transom are a must have on Champlain Too!

I have had experiences on Champlain where not having them ready at hand would have changed the outcome of the day.

In Frostbiting bad things can happen fast.....Not the time to be an indecisive Squirrel :o
Randy, any time on the water can be dangerous. When fishing I (almost) always have dykes on my hip. Always in salt or around cables. My floatation vest also carries a blunt tip knife on my chest (and a whistle), from many years of kayaking. But it's like carrying a firearm: it won't do any good unless practiced and available when needed! I can get my knife blindfolded, upside down and getting pounded. I'm sorry for the loss of the angler in Hawaii. Maybe he got wrapped, or the drag was too tight and he was clipped in. I've used a chest knife in several white water kayak rescue incidents (all successful, and all for others, not me) and I like knowing where my dykes are whenever I'm fishing! Like you, I don't want to be indecisive squirrel! I'm just sorry that the lessons we learn come at great cost. Be prepared. Stay safe. Godspeed.