Two January trips to the Sea Friday / Sunday...

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

Two January trips to the Sea Friday / Sunday...

Post by digitroll (ron) »

7 trips since Dec. 29th it's been an amazing run. I have fished the Inland Sea in Nov / Dec / Jan now. Something I have never done in 42 years. Quick trip of 3 hours Friday for the matinee from 1 pm to 4:15 pm yielded some amazing screens on the sonar. We lost a big boy down 50 ft and had another knock off off verticals from a follower on the sonar. Ended up with a 6 lb. slimer Northern off the Big Jon disc. Trip #2 we launched at 10:00 am yesterday 20F and ice was skimming over the launch area out to the Cowbanks. Water temp was 36F much colder than 42F 3 days earlier out of Converse. Screen was not as busy as Friday and later most marks and bait vanished! Never had a release the 4 hours and quit at 2:00 pm. Nice to have some new water to try looking for Mr. Big! Guests Ric on Thursday and Ric and Mike M. yesterday. Back to Converse today at 8:00 am. The last 4 trips of 7 we were the only boat on the water. I have been very selective picking the no wind event days with dry roads that have been frequent lately to get so many trips out on the water.

Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Two January trips to the Sea Friday / Sunday...

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Glad you took your boat out of storage and you are enjoying some exciting trips on the big pond. Always interesting to read your posts and see your pics.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
steve
Species: lakers,salmon,bass,pike,perch

Post by steve »

That one nice boat and truck you have there.
In my eyes that's the perfect setup.
Nice to see guys enjoying the open water.
ATLSALMON
Species: Saltwater & trout & salmon

Post by ATLSALMON »

May I ask you what Lowrance you have on this boat love your screen pictures
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I have been very slow to upgrade what isn't broken with my sonar. There is a lot of options out there for buying new and upgrades from my ancient relic. I like 83Khz old school 2D sonar pictures! My HDS Gen 2 Lowrance 7" is now 7 or 8 years old. I started with a 5" Lowrance HDS Gen 1 which is on the shelf as a backup in 2013 10 seasons ago. I manually put in 20 ft - 100 ft depth scale to blow up the sonar screen and separate targets and weights. I also utilize my Fishhawk X4-D to get the true depth of where one rigger is running after blow back even though it always shows deeper on the sonar screen. Something about geometry and a triangle why it appears deeper with blow back on sonar. These details I pay attention to stay above the fish when I set Lite Bite's and Riggers. :)