Weekend Recap

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Weekend Recap

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

Fished New Year's Day and today.

Had to check a few things off the Honey-Do list yesterday morning so was only able to fish in the afternoon. Splashed at Converse around noon and ran to Split Rock. Set one rod with 5 colors of lead and the other with my standard torpedo weight and fixed cheater. Very slow overall. Landed two Lakers but covered quite a bit of water to catch those -- one at the base of Whallon's and one off Cannon Point.

Trolled back to Split Rock, crossed the abyss to Thompson's and started meandering towards Picket Island. Landed one rotund salmon on a Reverse Buzzy just before dusk.

Today I launched at Converse at 8:30. Saw several members of the fleet out front so put lines in at Picket. Started with leadcore. One rod with 3 colors and a Blue Moon and the other with 5 colors and an Army Truck.

Blue Moon fired immediately but I pulled the hook halfway to the boat. Landed a small laker on the Army Truck as I neared Thompson's. Swapped the 3-color rod for a torpedo weight/fixed cheater rig. Worked the bait balls hard (along with the rest of the fleet) and enjoyed a slow pick -- salmon and Lakers about 50/50.

Swung back up to Picket and made a loop into shallower water. Found bait and a few fish. Made several circles through there and picked up more Lakers and salmon.

Once that bite faded, I picked up and ran south towards Diamond. Plenty of bait and marks but few bites. Finally landed one laker south of Diamond.

Pulled lines a little after 2.

Wonderbread down 50 and Blue Moon down 12 (leadcore) each had one bite.

Army Truck down 20 (leadcore)and a Reverse Buzzy (fixed cheater) at 30 were busy.

Nothing on an SGM, Gangrene, or Phantom.

Ended with 6 Lakers and 4 salmon.

Pulled a few hooks today and saw the rod tips bounce several times. Most fish were barely hooked.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Weekend Recap

Post by Reelax »

Great report, glad to hear you got out. Seems like we will get at-least most of January without serious ice, maybe we can fish till spring this year!
Matt B
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Re: Weekend Recap

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

That may be the case.

I look forward to chasing lakers through the ice, but I'm not confident any trout lakes, even in the NEK, will have safe ice until sometime in February.

But, if we can still troll on Champ, I'll take it!