Fishing (verb) History

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Fishing (verb) History

Post by Detritus »

I've seen successful tournament fishermen in videos saying that if you want to catch a lot of fish, you can never fish history. Check out Matt and Co. Over there, Barber Point one trip, Inland Sea the next.

We'll, today Liam and I only had about 2 and a half hours to fish, and we just couldn't resist. And really, it wasn't a bad trip. Thanks to literally 1 rod.

We were running 4 rods, 4 riggers, 4 cheaters for a total of 8 lures in the water. Lots of different stuff. But, we were taking fishing history to a whole new level today. Same spot, same rods, same lures on those same rods, haha. Talk about lazy. I'm not going to lie though, we almost always start out with the same lures as "last week" just because they're already tied on, and they're ready to go, then change out the biggest losers.

I won't bother telling you what didn't work, but we went like 4 for 9 I think, all salmon, on a rigger, set at 42', rainbow trout pattern small cowbells, Todd's bruised plum 3' behind that. The other 12 or 13 lures or presentations we tried over the course of the trip didn't do anything. Not even the identical setup we put on the other side of the boat to the one on the port that was catching all of the fish. Literally the only difference on the rig that was producing fish, was the fish hawk probe with almost dead batteries in it. So I guess I recommend you buy a lure that puts out a very weak signal at 70kHz.

SOG was 2.5-2.8, some zig zagging and slowing down and speeding up, repeated trips over hot looking areas on the sonar.

Lost more fish than boated, including the biggest ones, but no monsters. We thought we had a brown, but it turned out to be a brown colored salmon. Still looking for one of those. Saw a few other boats out there, including 4 rugged guys in open boats. One bass boat screaming south, and one aluminum one right near us hitting the same marks we were seeing on the graph. It was about 60 degrees in our cockpit even with the stuff south wind in the 28 degree neighborhood kicking up waves about a foot and a half where we were fishing.

Talked to Dry Net and NHJim on the VHF out there as well. We actually caught and passed Dry Net running south to the fishing spot first thing in the morning, because the kid driving the boat isn't the one buying the fuel.

Here's some pictures from the trip.

Mouth of the river
Mouth of the river
KIMG0806~2.JPG (75.46 KiB) Viewed 841 times

Calm start looking north
Calm start looking north
KIMG0807~2.JPG (80.88 KiB) Viewed 841 times

KIMG0808~2.JPG
KIMG0808~2.JPG (64.94 KiB) Viewed 841 times

Looking back, from the warm area.  We only go back there on cold days to set rods, land fish, and cook food
Looking back, from the warm area. We only go back there on cold days to set rods, land fish, and cook food
KIMG0809~2.JPG (76.28 KiB) Viewed 841 times

Hot sonar returns
Hot sonar returns
KIMG0814~2.JPG (104.14 KiB) Viewed 841 times

Biggest Salmon
Biggest Salmon
KIMG0810~2.JPG (68.43 KiB) Viewed 841 times

Brown salmon
Brown salmon
KIMG0811~2.JPG (87.09 KiB) Viewed 841 times

KIMG0812~2.JPG
KIMG0812~2.JPG (92.73 KiB) Viewed 841 times
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Detritus

Re: Fishing (verb) History

Post by Detritus »

Not fishing, but still Lake Champlain in our "backyard". Same crew, aboard the third boat in my signature "The Dumpster". It almost never gets talked about in here, but we love it just the same. You guys like pictures, right?

Liam's new (used and broken) 11-87 Super Mag.  Parts on order
Liam's new (used and broken) 11-87 Super Mag. Parts on order
IMG_20221211_205220.jpg (108.19 KiB) Viewed 823 times

Geese overhead
Geese overhead
IMG_20221211_205317.jpg (46.29 KiB) Viewed 823 times

Our view for most of Saturday Morning (Yesterday)
Our view for most of Saturday Morning (Yesterday)
IMG_20221211_205226.jpg (125.48 KiB) Viewed 823 times

Jack
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the report Jack, good showing for such a flag calm day!! Now I know what we missed launching north today;)
Matt B
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Great post jack, not bad for a quick trip! Hey I have a question tho, what is the orange torpedo on the deck? Is it a pool floaty? Just curious
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

looks awesome out there jack,making me very jealous being stuck at home!!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Controlled chaos wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:06 pm Great post jack, not bad for a quick trip! Hey I have a question tho, what is the orange torpedo on the deck? Is it a pool floaty? Just curious
Thanks guys.

Yes, pool noodle. Quite possibly the world's most repurposed invention. On our boat, it stores cheaters and cowbells. Poke the hook in, wrap it around until the snap swivel is close, then take the hook out and poke it through that.

We have a ton of fun on all of our boats, and I love them all, but the Country Angler is my favorite.

Jack
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

finsntins wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:38 pm looks awesome out there jack,making me very jealous being stuck at home!!!!!
Hey, seeing this reminded me of taking to you about fishing Ontario at the frostbite shootout 2021. You had offered some advice if I ever wen over there. Well, it's finally looking like we're going to be over there in April. Staying at Fair Haven State park, chasing some spring browns. That can't be too far from you is it?

Jack
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

its about 30-40 minutes from mexico,if you need some intel,just message me,i have a few friends that fish out of fair haven.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

finsntins wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:34 am its about 30-40 minutes from mexico,if you need some intel,just message me,i have a few friends that fish out of fair haven.
I sent you a pm with my cell.

Jack