How to use in line boards???

cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

How to use in line boards???

Post by cpmaple »

Hello all,
I've had a pair of in line boards for a few yrs now. Used them a handful of time with poor results.i understand the concept but fail at hooking them up correct. I leave slack between snaps but everytime my board comes free an I have to circle back for them. Watched several video on it but my question is when you have a fish on is the lead release or tail release suppose to let go. From first try thought it was the rear now I thinking it's the front. Please point me in the right direction or a good video to watch. Thanks for the help cpmaple looking an preparing for spring 2023.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Re: How to use in line boards???

Post by striper192001 »

Seems like a great opportunity for Ron to do another instructional video..........lol

John
finsntins

Post by finsntins »

ron definetly would be the man to do some teaching,i personally dont like inlines,but have used them on other peoples boats and the ones ive used have a spring loaded pin on the back of the board and a pinch pad on the front of the board,so you need to make several twists in the line,like you would do for a rigger release and then put the loop into the pin and the line going towards your rod into the pinch pad,so,in theory,when a fish hits,it will pull the line out of the pinch pad,so the board wont be pulling anymore and you will be just fighting the fish and then just pull the board off when it gets to the boat.ive also seen boards with pinch pads on the front and back,which sounds like what you may have,the rear pinch pad should have"teeth"in the back of the pinch pad,you need to put your line behind those"teeth" so the board cant come off your line.im sure ron can explain it better and maybe has a video to post like was stated above.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
cpmaple

Post by cpmaple »

finsntins wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:11 am ron definetly would be the man to do some teaching,i personally dont like inlines,but have used them on other peoples boats and the ones ive used have a spring loaded pin on the back of the board and a pinch pad on the front of the board,so you need to make several twists in the line,like you would do for a rigger release and then put the loop into the pin and the line going towards your rod into the pinch pad,so,in theory,when a fish hits,it will pull the line out of the pinch pad,so the board wont be pulling anymore and you will be just fighting the fish and then just pull the board off when it gets to the boat.ive also seen boards with pinch pads on the front and back,which sounds like what you may have,the rear pinch pad should have"teeth"in the back of the pinch pad,you need to put your line behind those"teeth" so the board cant come off your line.im sure ron can explain it better and maybe has a video to post like was stated above.
Finsntins the ones I have on hand have pads on both guess my question which one is suppose to release front or rear. Not a big fan of boards at all mainly a downrigger an dipsy diver person. Not much luck with any style boards why I'm not a fan. My boat don't have mast on it for big boards which I have several pairs of boards from prior
finsntins

Post by finsntins »

any of the ones i have used the back of the board is"pinned"to your line and the front release is supposed to release when a fish hits.if you are losing boards,you arent pinning the back release to your line.if you open up the rear pinch pad,you should see the"teeth"all the way in the back of the pinch pad,you have to put your line,behind those teeth,so the board cant come off your line.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Ron did a video on this: https://youtu.be/cyDEhaJ9DM4
cpmaple

Post by cpmaple »

Thanks for the info the video Ron did explained it very well. Have to try it in the spring once more.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

CP...Glad you can benefit from this video! It was fun doing it with Bill and Todd who demo'd other delivery systems that day on Bill's boat.