Westport - 11/9

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Westport - 11/9

Post by ChessieMan »

Scott and I spent today licking our "post-election" wounds fishing - what better way to ease a pain -

Launched out of Westport and head to SE corner of NW Bay - not a lot going on - I was figuring out my new Helix 7 and thought my ineptness was the reason we weren't marking or getting bit - but the real reason was - there were no fish there!

It took about an hour and a half for that bit to sink in, but when it finally did - we headed off to SB - pulled in at 120 FoW and immediately verified the Helix being functional as there was bait all over. Zeroed in on a 2.8 troll in and out over 80-140 and landed 6 salmon (1-18") and a laker - lost one nice salmon at the boat and had another 5-6 "hit & runs"

Everything got hit at least once - dipsys and DR's - DR's - down 20'-30', dipsys back 30 pulls.

Crossed back over to north shore on NW Bay for the afternoon and had only 1 H&R - no fish marked in shallow - fair amount of bait and deep fish (120-140) in middle of bay.

Will be back, but don't know when with the upcoming wind and rain.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Westport - 11/9

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the report… really appreciate the detail and description of your search…

Fish on!
Matt B
freshguy
Species: landlocksalmon

Post by freshguy »

May be heading up next week, was wondering about conditions at the Westport ramp? Are the docks still in, if not is the shoreline sandy enough to climb into a 22' walk-around if I bring a small ladder? Thanks in advance for your reply and thanks for a great report.
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

docks are not in,there is no sandy area around the ramp,its surrounded by 10' high walls.i was able to launch the boat and tie it off to the side wall,go park the truck and trailer and then climb down off the wall onto the hard top and get in the boat that way,if you have a soft top,you are going to need at least a 10' ladder or bring waders and pull the back of the boat around towards the ramp and climb in off your boarding ladder.its a pain anyway you do it,but it is doable.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Good report, appreciate the info. 2.8 is faster than we usually run. Occaisionally we'll be up there when the fish hawk says it's going real slow through the water. But they say faster is better for salmon right?

Last week when we got back to the ramp, there was a bass fisherman with a 5 lb salmon in his boat. 18 FOW, casting a blade bait, hit it on the fall. Something to think about for all you frostbiters chasing salmon.

Docks? What are those? Of our 70-80 trips a year, maybe 10 times we get to use a dock. And the front keels of my boats show it. Not to mention my knees, and other parts of my body stuffing it under the front railing of the Country Angler.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Great report!
It seems like things are finally heating up.:?: :)
Thanks for the valuable intel, much appreciated.

Best,
Ej(TruViking)
freshguy
Species: landlocksalmon

Post by freshguy »

finsntins wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:42 am docks are not in,there is no sandy area around the ramp,its surrounded by 10' high walls.i was able to launch the boat and tie it off to the side wall,go park the truck and trailer and then climb down off the wall onto the hard top and get in the boat that way,if you have a soft top,you are going to need at least a 10' ladder or bring waders and pull the back of the boat around towards the ramp and climb in off your boarding ladder.its a pain anyway you do it,but it is doable.
Thanks for the info! Was happy to get reservation at Shelburne Campground. Will be up Tuesday til Friday and possibly Saturday if weather holds.
wyattsflys
Species: Salmon

Post by wyattsflys »

Nice detailed report Freshguy! Fingers crossed & hands together for a Pig LLS for your boat & crew!!!!