2022 FROSTBITE SHOOTOUT CANCELLED

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

2022 FROSTBITE SHOOTOUT CANCELLED

Post by Surprise »

Hello All,

After reviewing the available weather forecasts for today and thru Monday we have made the call to cancel this year Shootout.
South wind of 20 plus in Converse makes it hard if not impossible to launch and retrieve boats.

Our Tournament permit is good for Saturday with the alternate of Sunday only. Point Bay Closes on Monday so we could not reschedule there.

We have added a plaque to the Shootout Trophy - In Memoriam to Admiral Jud " Supercab Swenor. So from now forward will be known as such.

We also want to make mention of our loss this year of four Legends of the Lake.

Matt Glebus of Port Henry, New York December 19, 2021 known as "Fishy 1", a true master of catching all species and one to share his knowledge and enjoyment of sport with anyone.

Kevin Collins of Barre, VT known as "Draggin Balls". Kevin was a kind and generous person that gave a hand to all wanting to enjoy our fishery. He and his wife Pam helped start the first Shootout. His good nature is missed.

Jim Martino of Granger, Indiana May 21, 2022 Jim was the creator of the Honeybee lure which was of a popular salmon lure on Lake Champlain.
He promoted and supported our sport tirelessly and encouraged and mentored many of our Fleet. His good friendship will be missed.

Admiral Jud "Supercab" Swenor October 11, 2022. Words cannot express the kind generosity that this man shared over his love of sport. His appointment to Admiral of our Fleet was most deserving to anyone who enjoys the enjoyment of Lake Champlain. Always Ears On CH 68 you knew that he was watching over you to make sure you made it back or was there to give a ready hand at the launch. Call Jud to yak or find out the bite and where. Learn that you needed that little bit of pink tape on that Flashking to make it fire. Jud's passing is truly the further loss of the "Greatest Generation" There isn't anyone that doesn't have their own special Jud "Supercab" story. I alone could fill a book with them. Sharing your stories with anyone will keep him with us.

Remember: No matter where you set up Supercab has made that run and caught fish there!

A heathy Ovation and Fish On to all these Great Fisheremen!

If you get out to fish enjoy yourselves and stay safe.

Randy & Kathy
Last edited by Surprise on Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fish On!
Thorny

Re: 2022 FROSTBITE SHOOTOUT CANCELLED

Post by Thorny »

Sorry to hear that Randy.
I don’t want to encourage any one to come out that doesn’t feel safe. But the Cathy Jean will be out fishing tomorrow. We welcome the company of anyone who wishes to join us.
As always respect the lake and be safe!
Captain Thorny
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Well Reelax is gonna have to eat all the food that has been prepared so we will show up at converse and try to fish. If not we will just sit in boat, spark up the bbq and tell stories. So Jeff and Scott if your still in we can try to find shelter in whalons and pull up position right behind the Cathy Jean for some fun…

It is the only call you could have made Randy. Thanks for keeping the fleet safe. We won’t launch unless we can stay afloat.. ;)

Another year without my name on this trophy… keeps me coming back for more. Some day!!!

Fish on!
Matt B
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Post by homewrecker »

I feel like I to will join this floatilla and bring massive amounts of good eats to enjoy after checking the wave heights up close and dragging giant salmon to the net.
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

Thanks Randy for everything you do,probably the right decision,it was nasty out there today,taking waves over the bow trolling into them and tomorrow is supposed to be worse.id love to join you guys up north but not sure it will be much fun running back south to Westport,so we are going to fish down this way tomorrow.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

The right call Randy! Fighting waves for 6 hours isn’t pleasent! Next year! Nice tribute to our lost comrades!

Hey Jason thanks for the wave report today and yesterday!
DrCaddis
Species: Salmonids

Post by DrCaddis »

Thanks randy. I am just having fun on brant lake and we were just checking the weather for tomorrow….good call and thanks for making it early as opposed to tomorrow morning. Have a great winter hope to catch you guys next spring down by crown point and bulwagga bay.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

digitroll (ron) wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:46 pm Nice tribute to our lost comrades!
I agree Randy...very nice tribute.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Yes definitely a nice tribute to some great comrades.

Bearcat and Hawkeye will be giving it hell in Westport tomorrow, monitoring 68!
Just Rite (Taycon)
Species: Salmon,lake trout

Post by Just Rite (Taycon) »

I was actually looking forward to getting up at 3am to drive 2-2 1/2 hours to fish and meet you all. Checked the forecast this morning then later saw the fb post. Risky ride to potentially be too rough to fish. I still plan to get there before ice in. Stay safe and best of luck to whatever fishes tomorrow.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Does this mean the crew of the Country Angler is the undisputed champions of any LCU tournament for the entire 2022 season? Setting records all over the place!

But seriously, we enjoy the vhf and the cookout more than anything else when fishing with the fleet. It reminds me of being a kid, knowing everybody, and having friends everywhere you go. We should do a semi organized LCU fishing trip/cookout before the lake freezes. There was some wicked nice days last year around Christmas and new years. Holiday Salmon Fishing Party?
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
DrCaddis
Species: Salmonids

Post by DrCaddis »

Randy, good call. I drove up from the poconos but I’m glad you called the ball. Safety is paramount. We all live to fish another day. I fished brant lake this afternoon and hopefully will find something for tomorrow if not I’ll enjoy football at a local tavern. See you guys next year
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Randy, thanks for all the good words for the ones that didn't make it this year. All great contributors and reading this makes you realize that there is an end with this life.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

First off, Thx for making the safe decision on the "Shoot-out" - no need to risk life or limb for a fish - I'll be "shooting" Wednesday (I hope).

More important, were your comments regarding Matt G and Jim M - 10 years ago when I first joined the forum, I didn't know slide diver form a sled and HoneyBees lived in hives. Thx to the generosity of both Matt and Jim, I learned about both and much, much more. They taught me sharing info was a good thing and benefitted all.

Tight lines all