Salmon on a Stick

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Salmon on a Stick

Post by Dilly Worm »

I don't catch many salmon with stickbaits, even when I'm actually trying to catch them with little Yozuri Pin Minnows in the spring. But for some reason a salmon hit this 11 cm Rapala on 13 colors of lead that I was using to target lakers on Sunday. Nice surprise to see a silver fish leap out of the water after a lot of reeling in !

not the typical salmon lure...
not the typical salmon lure...
lure.jpg (110.7 KiB) Viewed 835 times
a decent 17 inch silver fish
a decent 17 inch silver fish
17-in-salmon.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 835 times

It was a gorgeous sunny warm day with light wind. Water was warm near the surface. The FishHawk TD said 70.8 at the surface and 70.8 15 feet down. 55 degrees was over 80 feet down.

Also caught a laker on the same lure earlier in the morning. The other line was a NK-28 on a magnum dipsy that nobody wanted to bite.
Last edited by Dilly Worm on Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Salmon on a Stick

Post by Reelax »

Dilly, your manual trolling amazes me… Never heard of running 13 colors… that is a lot of lead in the water!! You definitely earned that silver!!!

Thanks for sharing…
Matt B
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Dilly - was that you trolling south of Essex, NY yesterday? I tried to hail the kayaker on my VHF radio but failed. My wife and I were out for a boat ride.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

tmcaul wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:49 am Dilly - was that you trolling south of Essex, NY yesterday? I tried to hail the kayaker on my VHF radio but failed. My wife and I were out for a boat ride.
That must have been someone else. I was out Sunday between Scotch Bonnet and Arnold Bay in the white Adirondack rowboat, it looks like a canoe except it has the oars. I usually have a handheld radio on 68 in that boat but I don't get much hands-free time to talk !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

Reelax wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:51 am Never heard of running 13 colors… that is a lot of lead in the water!!

Thanks for sharing…
In the past I ran 10 colors and would catch perch and smallmouth bass in late July, August, and Septembers, so I figured more lead was needed to get down deeper to the colder water. Also went with the magnum dispy diver, but for some reason the long lead line gets better results.
Just Rite (Taycon)
Species: Salmon,lake trout

Post by Just Rite (Taycon) »

Caught a 6.5lb salmon on almost the same lure 10 years ago north of Valcour. It was a dark green back instead of blue. I run both often for lake trout. Definitely a nice surprise to get silver on them occasionally