First leadcore setup - how many colors?

pnutbutter
Species: Trout

First leadcore setup - how many colors?

Post by pnutbutter »

I'm still trying to learn how to better catch fish while trolling - and really enjoying reading the archives of this forum to learn!

I'm setting up my first leadcore rod and wondering how you all do this.

What's a versatile amount of leadcore line to put on if I'm only going to set up a single rod like this? I'm sure ideally I'd have one rod for fishing shallow and another for fishing deep but that isn't in the cards right now. I'm leaning toward putting all 10 colors on the reel - that would let me get deep, and even if it was too much line it would flatten out at the thermocline in the summer which is where the fish would be anyway (right?). Is that a good approach or should I reconsider?

Also, is it true that I'd damage the leadcore if I trolled with some of it still in the guides?

I'll use 30 pound mono as backing because of the fleas.

Thanks for the ideas.
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Re: First leadcore setup - how many colors?

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

I really only use lead core line in the spring and late fall/winter for shallow depth when fish are up high. I only use them with my planner boards. I estimate that my lure is running 5 feet deep for every color of lead core that I have out at 2.5 mph. I have 2 poles set up with 2 colors of lead (10 ft depth) and 2 poles with 3 colors of lead (15 ft depth). I run a 6 foot leader (15 lb flouro) and 30 lbs mono before the lead core line. Right now, my planner boards and lead core poles are put away until fall.

I have been told that it does damage the line to have it still in the guide. It's been recommended to me to have all of your lead out and submerged.
FishPole Thinking
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

If you put a while core (10 colors) on a reel you can run 50 ft down and fish all season.
Matt B
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

I almost always run one leadcore year round. It's the first line out and typically I have a guest run it out as I set up the riggers. I typically run about 6 to 8 colors out. I think I'm only getting about 15 ft of depth due to my speed and setup. So when we're running deep with the riggers we always a relatively shallow line for a broad spread. More than once I've hooked up on it after losing on on another line - presumably the same fish!

And I periodically crank in or out to change the line position thru the guides since it will break if it sits in the same position for a long time.
Black Ghost (Ken)
pnutbutter

Post by pnutbutter »

Thanks everyone. I rigged up the full 10 colors, figuring I can start with that and cut some off later if I want to.
pnutbutter

Post by pnutbutter »

Thanks everyone. I rigged up the full 10 colors, figuring I can start with that and cut some off later if I want to.
Chazycuda
Species: Salmon, trout

Post by Chazycuda »

I have been using the same 25lbs leadcore line on 2 poles for 20 plus years with 30lbs backing and 12’ and 12lbs leader the rod tips have wheel style guide and have no problems with line breaking. I change out the leaders frequently, I did break the line once About 5 years ago I was out fishing with a fiend in a center console and I left the rod in one of the top rod holders and lost the top 2” of the pole, it was splintered from hitting the bridge overpasses on the highway Only lost 1 color of led, I found one wheel tip online for $8 (I think)and she’s been back in production ever since.

Good luck out there!
Chuck