Boat Fishing Etiquette

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
60Fishman
Species: lake trout, salmon, bass

Boat Fishing Etiquette

Post by 60Fishman »

Ran into a situation yesterday. Maybe I am just being a grumpy semi-old man but thought I would run it by people here. Launched out of Westport yesterday and was fishing in Town Farm Bay, I have a few spots in there that are my favorites. Usually I troll, targeting lake trout, but lately especially as it has gotten warm have been learning how to jig them up. After a couple tries I am finally figuring it out. Any I was in position, with my Minn Kota spot lock keeping me in one spot and was picking up fish after searching for for about an hour an a half. I was in a spot I have done well trolling before.

Anyway, I look up from my fishfinder (I am facing almost due north) and see a large boat coming directly at me but very slow. Thought it might be Coast Guard but they always have a pretty small boat. I then realize it is probably a charter. He keeps coming staright at me and finally about 20 yards in front of me veers west and starts dropping his riggers. I won't name the Charter since maybe I am being a little touchy. If you read this I was the guy in the black Lowe. I keeping picking up a fish once in a while moving a little further south from where I was originally. He was after lake trout like me, barely moving maybe 1 mph, and proceeded to go up and down the run several times. It would have not been so bad but his first couple passes his radio is loud enough that I sure as hell didn't need one. Every time he crossed he was 20-30 yards away. I was going to give him the business but my wife talked me out of it. This went on for a while and it was time for lunch so we left it to him. A few years ago I got a little to close to a charter in Lake George and he let me have it. At first I did not see his side planar in the waves and he had long leads, so I probaly deserved it and I apologized. We did not tangle gear at least.

Some lakes, like Schroon that I fish once in a while only have a few good trolling spots, there are no secrets and everybody realizes it will be close but you work it out and I have never had a problem. But Champlain with all that water, he could not give me a little more space? That same spot a month ago I was fishing in the same bay and someone was in that spot before me and I let him have it and only moved in after they left. I bass fish too and I would never think of pulling up within 20 yards of someone.

I know some trollers don't like the jigging guys but this time of year it can be quite a kick bringing up 5-10 pound LT from 70 to 100 feet down with spinning gear. Plus you don't have to mess with the fleas and if you release the fish they go straight to the bottom alomost every time, unlike trolling with the warm water they sometimes they go belly up.
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Re: Boat Fishing Etiquette

Post by Fishinpole »

This sounds like a Lake Ontario charter. They think they are the only ones on the lake.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

It doesn't matter if your trolling, jigging, anchored, swimming, eating lunch, etc..you have a right to do what you want hassle free.
If I was the guy getting hassled...I'd have named him HERE. And most likely would have let him know he was in the wrong while on the water.
Just my 2 cents.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

I haven’t experienced much If any trouble to speak of with fisherman on Champlain. Occasionally I have been crowded by a sailboater that seems to take advantage of his right of way just because he can.

In hot zones like during the spring brown season in Ontario or Bulwaga bay (when it was good) I’ve always found it a little inconsiderate for guys to run huge planer spreads - they take up a ton of space and when a bunch of guys are trying to fish the same area I’ve seen tempers flare for sure. I choose to run a more narrow spread in those situations in consideration of my fellow anglers. Luckily we do have a lot of space here and thank God it has not become Lake George, which seems to have an improving salmon fishery lately, though once school is out it’s virtually impossible to fish there because of the New Jersey crowd , the rental fleet and the parasailers. - talk about a lack of etiquette!
60Fishman

Post by 60Fishman »

I live 15 minutes form the state launch at MDB on LG but now drive the 1.5 hours to Westport beacuse I can't take the circus. That plus quite honestly the fishing is better.
ATLSALMON
Species: Saltwater & trout & salmon

Post by ATLSALMON »

Bearcat I am originally from New Jersey not all of us do not have etiquette I am a fisherman first & give my fellow fisherpersons plenty of space when fishing around them just saying
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Pleanty of laker infested water out there. No need to crowd anyone for slimers on Champlain. There is over 100 miles of em north to south any given day...

Sad to hear you had to put up with it...
Matt B
Pcraft237
Species: All

Post by Pcraft237 »

I’ve run into the problem at various times. Mostly sailboats who seem to think if you’re fishing you have move for them or don’t see a problem with cutting in front of you 20 feet away. Had it happen. Also had large pleasure boats get far too close considering how large Champlain is. I chartered 3 years on Lake George. One charter fisherman loved peaches. Saved the pits for throwing at anyone who got too close.
Worst case was on Middle Saranac Lake fishing northerns. No offense to our Canadian friends but 4 fellows from north of the border showed up in rented boat. No one else around. Saw us, cover a quarter mile of water to stop about 75 ft away. Ignored them as boat drifted closer. Then heard a plop 10 ft away. Their lure. That did it. After a brief exchange, I convinced them it was in their best interest to get to hell away from my boat.
Bottom line- respect for others.
60Fishman

Post by 60Fishman »

I get it bass fishing, for instance that magical accepted distance is much smaller. But LT fishing on LC as Reelax says, it just is unneccessary to crowd anyone. There have been many time someone was already in the general area I want to fish. I just move off further away if that is the case and find another spot. If they leave I might give tha spot a try depending on how I was doing. Just being respectful. Seems simple to me.

Sail boats, I get it under sail they have the right away. I try to figure out their path in adavnce and stay clear. Under motor though as far as I am concerned they are like anyone else out there. A couple times even under motor they seem to think they can cut you off. Again on LC, it is so big this is totally unnecessary.

The only other time I had a tough one on LC was with the Coast Guard. All morning I was washing lures, until about 10 AM I finally find a depth and pattern and proceed to catch 6 or so in 30 minutes with a couple doubles, my wife helping out. The Coast Guard approaches as I am reeling one in and wants to board. Needless to say, bring in the lines, they check life jackets, fire extinguisher, registration , fishing licenses, horn, throw cushions, the whole shabang. Nearly a half hour later we have drifted way off the spot, I motor back drop lines and either the fish moved or turned off. I know they are just doing there job and keeping us all safe but that was a bitter pill to swallow that morning.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

60Fishman wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:09 pm
The only other time I had a tough one on LC was with the Coast Guard. All morning I was washing lures, until about 10 AM I finally find a depth and pattern and proceed to catch 6 or so in 30 minutes with a couple doubles, my wife helping out. The Coast Guard approaches as I am reeling one in and wants to board. Needless to say, bring in the lines, they check life jackets, fire extinguisher, registration , fishing licenses, horn, throw cushions, the whole shabang. Nearly a half hour later we have drifted way off the spot, I motor back drop lines and either the fish moved or turned off. I know they are just doing there job and keeping us all safe but that was a bitter pill to swallow that morning.
I have the Coast Guard Auxiliary stop by in early May at my home for an inspection. In this way I have no boarding issues on the water or at the access. They see the annual sticker on the port side window and give me a thumbs up!. Been doing this every year since 2000. No one plans to fail, they just fail to plan!
Pcraft237
Species: All

Post by Pcraft237 »

I was also stopped by Coast Guard. I was told just to keep fishing but they needed to board boat. No, I have 4 lines out on Downriggers, I can’t fish and have you board as well. They had to wait until I took in lines. No problems, they were polite, had trainees with them. Much easier to deal with than having someone dropping lures 10 feet away.
60Fishman

Post by 60Fishman »

They were very polite and doing their job. The timing was just real bad for me. Plus they do ask if they can board. Don't think you really have a choice. In the long run it is goood to know they are out their checking people. Have had the VT Fish and Wildlife check me numerous times. Very polite and that is usually quick, show licenses, did you catch any fish, if you keep them show them what you have. That is maybe 5-10 minutes. Plus they are collecting good data. Never see my NYS DEC out there. Several years back they let everyone retire and they did not get replaced. There are so few NYS ENCON game wardens and biologists now it is not funny.

On of my pet peeves is these guys spend a lot of their time policing the crowds in the High Peaks, yet there is no fee to park or use the trail system. So my fishing and hunting dollars are being used for that use. Some states have a trail system fee to basciacally park, you buy a sticker each year on-line for $10 or so, so you can park at the trailheads. Very easy to check and it is easy money. But we are not very smart here in NY.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I have had it the other way with jiggers setting up a couple hundred yards in front of me and my obvious route. If your heading at the high point of a hump, they know damn well where you are going. Why can't they let you pass and then move in? I don't really care,but don't get mad at me for not doing a bat turn to keep away.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

ATLSALMON
Species: Saltwater & trout & salmon

Post by ATLSALMON »

Ron where can I get this done if you are in the Finger Lakes Thanks