Ocean City 2022

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Ocean City 2022

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Today was another great day on the water.
We left early this morning for an offshore trip, about 20 miles out on our neighbor's fishing vessel, a 26' sailfish with twin 150 hp yamaha.
Trolled for a while, but even if we could see some tunas breaking the surface, the rods kept quiet.
Close to noon, we switched to chunking and within the next hour, we had a screaming reel.
It took us 1 hour 15 minutes to bring that nice yellow fin tuna to the boat. He gave us a hell of a fight.
We were all so exhausted we decided it was time to head back home, about 1 hour ride.
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG (110.11 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
IMG_4240.JPEG
IMG_4240.JPEG (97.49 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
QJIO0739.JPEG
QJIO0739.JPEG (41.94 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
Sushi on the menu very soon :D
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Nice fish!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:07 pm
Sushi on the menu very soon :D
Very nice!
Love it!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Great catch! I want to see you fillet that beast. Catching tuna is the first third, but then you need to carve it up and serve it. Waiting on further pics! Well done!
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Wow, thats a great fish. Anything that takes an hour and fifteen minutes to reel in is awesome !

Did you get the length and weight ?
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Dilly Worm wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:49 am Wow, thats a great fish. Anything that takes an hour and fifteen minutes to reel in is awesome !

Did you get the length and weight ?
Length 52"
We did not get a chance to weigh it, but estimate around 45-50 lbs.
It was a very hot day, so we fillet the fish quickly after we removed it from ice.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

TUnamas wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:25 pm Great catch! I want to see you fillet that beast. Catching tuna is the first third, but then you need to carve it up and serve it. Waiting on further pics! Well done!
Hi Scott, the owner of the "Turn me Loose" is a charter captain and has lot of experience fillet fish.
The picture below is very graphic... it's a bit messier than cleaning salmon :lol: :D
DSCN2549.JPG
DSCN2549.JPG (246.3 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Well done! Good eats. Yes, tuna are messy! I have a photo on the wall of my office that has a blue box over the bloody deck and a tuna body that says: "Censored to protect the notion that killing something without a mess is somehow less brutal."
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

:mrgreen: Took a yellow fin to get Scott to start commenting… lol figures… they are his weakness

Congrats on the fun trip Gerry. That is biggger than the one we caught together down there on the Yellowfin in 2017.
Wondering is you got that fish in the “HotDog” reef where we got mine?

Any update on if the Yellowfin is still fishing ?

Thanks for sharing.
Attachments
7F29C60C-D564-45F5-B71B-BFB9E6C8CA35.jpeg
7F29C60C-D564-45F5-B71B-BFB9E6C8CA35.jpeg (149.24 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Not the Yellowfin.... the Longfin.
Unfortunately Tom and Lance sold the boat and their summer home in Ocean City last year.
No more fishing for me on the Longfin :cry: :cry:
Luckly I still have friends and neighbors with boats to go offshore.
With price of fuel at $6 at the marinas, we cannot get out as often as we hoped.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

It's been a while since I posted my fishing catches. Time is going too fast... or we are getting too slow....
I had friends visiting OC for the first time and the love fishing, so we spent a lot of time on the water.
First outing was more a sightseeing cruise in the back bays but didn't take too long we had some lines in water.
We targeted spot fish averaging 4-7" to be used as bait for stripers. We caught over 50 within a short lapse of time put them in a fish pod for the next fishing trip.
Next morning, they were all gone :o During the night, an otter ripped open the door of the pod and had a delicious buffet.
Switched to Plan B: Let's go clamming as it was low tide. Raking the sand in about 2 feet of water, we collected over 5 dozens of nice clams.
Clams.jpg
Clams.jpg (112.61 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
Clams1.jpg
Clams1.jpg (44.34 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
It was funny to see them jumping and yelling as the sometimes stepped on horseshoe crabs.
Horseshoe.jpg
Horseshoe.jpg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
As tide raised, we switched to crabbing, slowing dragging chicken pieces in 6'. Within a few minutes we had blue crabs clinking to the chicken and were easy to scoop in the boat.
Crabbing.jpg
Crabbing.jpg (110.52 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
We kept 2 dozens keepers, and then went back catching spots.
Crabs.jpg
Crabs.jpg (119.39 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
This time, spots were harder to find because of the tide change but we managed to find them after some attempts and kept a dozen as bait.
As it was almost slack tide, we headed to the inlet. When tide started moving in at the right speed near the jetty, it was time to fish. Since the current is pretty strong and the biting zone is very short, it is critical to position the boat correctly and get the bait in the water precisely otherwise we snag on the rocky bottom. We did 5 passes, catching 3 stripers and one bluefish, all were released.
Striper.jpg
Striper.jpg (109.1 KiB) Viewed 3466 times

As the sun came down slowly on the bay, it was time to head back
Sundown.jpg
Sundown.jpg (75.68 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
We enjoyed a nice evening diner with the catches of the day.
Diner.jpg
Diner.jpg (111.81 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Last Thursday as we were drifting fishing for flounders, we snagged a few times. We ended up catching 3 throwbacks but also 2 keepers that may need some hard cleaning and polishing.
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG (100.1 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG (142.76 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Fun times right there! Thanks for sharing Gerry.
Gerry
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I took some friendsfishing last Friday. It was their first time on the blue sea.
We hit the water around 7 am and went 24 miles offshore. Weather prediction light & variable winds.
At destination, we scouted the flags above the fish pods in 125fow. It took a while before we got our first bite while trolling and casting around the flags, and then the wind and waves picked up more than expected. We managed to catch another mahi mahi before deciding to troll back towards land. As time passed, the wind and waves got bigger and bigger. We were still 2.5 hours trolling speed (8mph) away from land and the boat was rocking all directions in 6-8' waves. On our way back we crossed a large lump in 50-55' fow and within a few minutes we had 4 false albacores hitting our lures. OK, now it's time to get the rods out of the water and carefully head back to shore about 10 miles away. Some of us started turning green but our captain managed to stay clear of the big waves. We were all soaking wet from the waves' sprays and a bit anxious but happy as we finally entered the inlet.
That's a day we will all remember.
_GER5490.JPG
_GER5490.JPG (185.44 KiB) Viewed 3410 times
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Love it! Very nice!
Gerry